OP
Nano_Man

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of trimming back today . Added a power head yesterday to get things moving around a bit in the tank I’ve noticed since Norman’s not going up for air as much witch is good thing. Anemones are on the glass now it’s like nem city in there lol . The snake lock anemones are super stinky tentacles if you run passed them your stuck and a small reaction a few minutes later only last five minutes. Itchy type of feeling but if you handle them in your hands no effects at all but if your doing something in the tank and your arm brushes against them it must be them sting your arm but in the scale of things not that much bother . Then I need to figure out feeding Iam thinking plankton and bits of mussel but I will need to get my act together on this subject lol

OP
OP
Nano_Man

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update Norman is taking flake and frozen mysis . He is that inpatient when you put a block in he is straight up grab it and gone he has started waiting for me a the front of the tank . Also all the Anemones are doing ok catching food in the water column. One of the snake lock Anemones has split yesterday so that another Anemone lol. Will keep you updated as other things progress. Photo attached of the snake lock splitting yesterday.
35B96C8C-D408-467C-AA11-C49868AF99EC.jpeg
24B4F7AF-CE89-4096-A2EB-BBF7087DD146.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My true dream tank is an 8-9’ long saltwater tank that’s simply just native to our coastlines.
I was in Holland for a few days over the weekend (left to go on Thursday at 5am and came back yesterday at 4:40pm). Some of those animals are almost identical to what we have here and it really made me appreciate our cold waters.
But my dream fish to own from our waters is this… a Cuckoo Wrasse.
484CCB72-30A3-4A7B-B5FA-5880454C5D6A.jpeg

I am slightly annoyed I set my current nano up as a warm tank though, I’d love a couple shannys and our gobies. Your tank looks gorgeous, any plans for things like our native pipefish, rocklings or clingfish?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nano_Man

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My true dream tank is an 8-9’ long saltwater tank that’s simply just native to our coastlines.
I was in Holland for a few days over the weekend (left to go on Thursday at 5am and came back yesterday at 4:40pm). Some of those animals are almost identical to what we have here and it really made me appreciate our cold waters.

I am slightly annoyed I set my current nano up as a warm tank though, I’d love a couple shannys and our gobies. Your tank looks gorgeous, any plans for things like our native pipefish, rocklings or clingfish?
I need a chiller but not cheap so thinking of a pump in the back chamber fitted to air pipe that comes out the tank and into a polystyrene boxed the air pipe is coiled up and then returns to the tank . Thinking of 2 frozen juice bottles each side of the coil or a coil you can slip a frozen bottle in the middle of the coil . Also temp control if I use a pump with a high and low on it the faster the water passes through the higher temperature if I slow it right down it should cool more . I could even but a temp gauge coming out the box telling you when to change the bottles maybe once a day or maybe every other . What’s your thoughts and it is cheap as chips to set up

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a chiller but not cheap so thinking of a pump in the back chamber fitted to air pipe that comes out the tank and into a polystyrene boxed the air pipe is coiled up and then returns to the tank . Thinking of 2 frozen juice bottles each side of the coil or a coil you can slip a frozen bottle in the middle of the coil . Also temp control if I use a pump with a high and low on it the faster the water passes through the higher temperature if I slow it right down it should cool more . I could even but a temp gauge coming out the box telling you when to change the bottles maybe once a day or maybe every other . What’s your thoughts and it is cheap as chips to set up
I simply throw ice packs into my tanks to cool them down.
I wouldn’t overly worry if your temperature goes to 25°C, this is natural and our coasts are adapted to our warm summers. It’s when it goes over 25°C you want to really worry, we’re a temperate climate so our waters naturally go from cold to warm to cold in the year.

OP
OP
Nano_Man

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I simply throw ice packs into my tanks to cool them down.
I wouldn’t overly worry if your temperature goes to 25°C, this is natural and our coasts are adapted to our warm summers. It’s when it goes over 25°C you want to really worry, we’re a temperate climate so our waters naturally go from cold to warm to cold in the year.
Yep sat at 20 21 at the moment and it’s hot today outside but cooler in the house . I wish I had done this years ago . I will keep updating highs and lows hopefully all highs lol

OP
OP
Nano_Man

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well I have learnt something new today thank you I will be keeping my eye out as summer progresses for small fish . Norman I just fell across him lol

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People used to turn bar fridges into chillers back in the day. Good diy project?

OP
OP
Nano_Man

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People used to turn bar fridges into chillers back in the day. Good diy project?
Yes I seen that but it is as @i cant think says ice block in the back chamber if temp gets to high a good idea maybe I was over complicating things

OP
OP
Nano_Man

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive begun a mini pod container but it’s cold water so… I had an excuse for a macro ‘only’ tank that’s native to here ;)
51DC04CD-4439-475C-9DFB-4F68707321B5.jpeg
We have oysters here and plenty of them but that would mean plankton full time or they die but they do filter water very well. Keep me updated on your cold water experience. Good thinking from you about ice packs I appreciate it. Thanks again . There’s only one Anemone I am still looking for it’s called a strawberry Anemone how hard it is to find is another thing.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back