ULNS help

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded a few months ago to a larger tank and build my home made ATS version 2.0. This one draws nutrients very heavily and I ended up with a ULNS system. Phosphate hovers around .03 on the hanna checker, and nitrate generally doesn't register on my cheapo API kit. I have done 2 water changes since the upgrade, only because I am afraid my micronutrients are dropping out. I dont have a huge load of corals but I dont know much about dosing or where to go from here. My corals are pale. Mostly the orange monti digis, which were once super bright and now have worked their way to a very light orange. My rainbows in Spain acro is also primarily neon green, and the purple tips are not very pronounced like you see in images. The birds nest are pretty light too. Is this more likely to be cause by low nutrients, or too much light? I have 3 gen5 radion xr15s covering the whole 6' tank so I didn't think overloghting would be an issue...

16019469798752946429762994968586.jpg

RM24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API test kits are not the best. You should try a different test kit. Having 0 nitrates can not only cause pale colors but you also risk a dinoflagellate outbreak. The phosphate seems ok but I wouldn't go much lower than where you are at. I have to dose phosphate and nitrates, otherwise they would bottom out.

You should try to get your hands on a par meter. There's really no other way to know for sure if your lights are adequate for the corals you're keeping.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a better nitrate test kit.
I like nyos, easy to read.
I run my po4 .02-.04 and no3 <5.
Maybe reduce the light time on the ATS to get nitrates up and feed fish more.
You need to know your actual nitrates before making any changes, imo.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also need to test alk, ca, and mag to keep your levels stable you will need a 2 part dosing schedule.
You can do this by hand to start which will help you understand your tanks needs before any dosing pumps are added.

OP
OP
Gobi-Wan

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also need to test alk, ca, and mag to keep your levels stable you will need a 2 part dosing schedule.
You can do this by hand to start which will help you understand your tanks needs before any dosing pumps are added.
I forgot to mention I have been running kalkwasser in my ato for quite a while. And I have a magnetic test, I think its salifert. I know that one is better than API. I tested today thinking maybe that was the culprit since I havent been dosing it but my mag was about 1300. I did do a water change a week or 2 ago. When people dose instead of doing water changes, how are they replacing all the stuff besides calc alk mag? Also I already feed very heavy, at least for my bioload.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention I have been running kalkwasser in my ato for quite a while. And I have a magnetic test, I think its salifert. I know that one is better than API. I tested today thinking maybe that was the culprit since I havent been dosing it but my mag was about 1300. I did do a water change a week or 2 ago. When people dose instead of doing water changes, how are they replacing all the stuff besides calc alk mag? Also I already feed very heavy, at least for my bioload.
What is your alk, ca?
Mine runs 7-7.5 for low nutrients.
I do not do scheduled water changes.
I run a carx with manmade media for alk and ca.
I dose ez trace at 6ml a day on my 120.
Strontium once a week.
I have done this for 15 months since startup, first 6 dosing 2 part, before carx.
I have done 2 water changes in that time frame. One 9 gallon around 13 months and one a month later after a fluconazole treatment.

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start by reducing the overall time any nitrate or phosphate removing filtration is on.. ats/skimmer etc..

Start by completely turning off the ATS for a few days then “tune” the ats performance (hours on or off) to match your goals .03 phos .05 nitrates or whatever you want.

Throw away those test kits and get something more reliable and accurate. I use Hanna as I’m slightly colorblind.

For coral health, kalkwasser is good and can go a long way. Test your alk cal and mag and adjust.
My tank:
Alk 8.5
Cal 480
Mag 1380

I run two part Brs pharma pouches on a $50 jebao dosing pump. Weekly 10% auto water changes and occasionally siphon the bare bottom as part of my water change schedule.

best of luck! But definitely “tune” the ats

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%

Back