Ultra Reef Akula Skimmer Review

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t agree more SunnyX. I’ve been reefing non stop for 36 years and these are the best skimmers I’ve ever used. Thanks for the feedback. That’s what a foam column should look like with an Ultra Reef! From my cell phone it looks like the skimmer body is solid white but it’s clear acrylic with that much foam inside.

Last edited:

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running my ultra reef skimmer for over a year now and it has never failed me and is the best skimmer I have ever used.

xmjxflipx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have this same skimmer from the post I saw from sunny...honestly one of the best quality skimmers ever ..huge cup and beefy...won't ever go to another skimmer again lol

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Sonny I just got that same skimmer and I am have a hard time to tune it if you don’t mind what water lvl do you have the skimmer in and how high up the skimmer buddy do you have the bubbles ?
Any help is appreciated
Hi Sonny I just got that same skimmer and I am have a hard time to tune it if you don’t mind what water lvl do you have the skimmer in and how high up the skimmer buddy do you have the bubbles ?
Any help is appreciated

Hello!

You will want the water level to be just below or at the line shown below. I have found this to be the best level for performance.

Concerning the bubbles, that is a personal choice as some like to skim wet or dry. I like to skim a little on the wetter side.

I would remove the skimmer cup and then power up the skimmer. Adjust the valve until the bubbles are slightly pouring over. Then attach the cup and let is run for a day. After which, if there is not enough skimmate being pulled you can adjust the value to open or close, increasing or decreasing the level of water in the skimmer.

It'll likely take you a few days to dial it in properly but once set, you really wont have to mess with it again. Mine has been set at its current setting for over a year now with no adjustments.

After a year of operation I can say that this skimmer is flawless, worry free, and does a fantastic job. I am not sponsored in anyway with the skimmer. I am just a happy customer sharing my experiences.

1688832132829.png

1688832286198.png

Rmike545

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

You will want the water level to be just below or at the line shown below. I have found this to be the best level for performance.

Concerning the bubbles, that is a personal choice as some like to skim wet or dry. I like to skim a little on the wetter side.

I would remove the skimmer cup and then power up the skimmer. Adjust the valve until the bubbles are slightly pouring over. Then attach the cup and let is run for a day. After which, if there is not enough skimmate being pulled you can adjust the value to open or close, increasing or decreasing the level of water in the skimmer.

It'll likely take you a few days to dial it in properly but once set, you really wont have to mess with it again. Mine has been set at its current setting for over a year now with no adjustments.

After a year of operation I can say that this skimmer is flawless, worry free, and does a fantastic job. I am not sponsored in anyway with the skimmer. I am just a happy customer sharing my experiences.

1688832132829.png

1688832286198.png
Did exactly what you said and now we wait lol for a day

Attachments

• IMG_1498.jpeg
    IMG_1498.jpeg
    197.4 KB · Views: 82

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did exactly what you said and now we wait lol for a day

I know a lot of people say theirs skimmed awesome in day one but if it helps mine took a week to really start working nicely. Maybe others have higher organics etc.

Rmike545

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

1688832132829.png

1688832286198.png
Ok here what it looks like after a day I should have a lot more skimming then this I have 5 big tangs, 3 chromis, flame hawk, sand sifting goby, big maroon clown, and fox face And my nitrates and phosphate are rising.
Do you think it’s getting to much air or not enough air ?

Attachments

• IMG_1499.jpeg
    IMG_1499.jpeg
    201.9 KB · Views: 81

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello!

1688832132829.png

1688832286198.png

Sunny the black piece around the white venturi between the acrylic body... is that a DIY thing or did it come that way? I have the UKS-160 and it leaks some bubbles around that area because it's not an air tight seal. I'd love to get that "Part"

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunny the black piece around the white venturi between the acrylic body... is that a DIY thing or did it come that way? I have the UKS-160 and it leaks some bubbles around that area because it's not an air tight seal. I'd love to get that "Part"
Mine came with that also. It’s just a flimsy piece of foam that doesn’t do much.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here what it looks like after a day I should have a lot more skimming then this I have 5 big tangs, 3 chromis, flame hawk, sand sifting goby, big maroon clown, and fox face And my nitrates and phosphate are rising.
just let it run and it will eventually kick in. may want to skim a little wetter with those big fish but i would leave it for now

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine came with that also. It’s just a flimsy piece of foam that doesn’t do much.
it's just a temporary add on they provide for breaking in and reducing micros for a while. it won't eliminate them but it does help a bit.

you can leave it or toss it after break in. the small gap where the venturi slips into the body won't affect anything after it breaks in and doesn't need to be water/air tight since the reaction chamber bubbles will settle above that venturi.

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hello,

That looks good, and what I would expect on a new skimmer. You could close the valve and skim a little wetter if you'd like. It'll pull out some more much. Also, give the skimmer some time to break in. The new parts in the skimmer can initially affect performance.

Hi! As others have stated, the part is the foam insert provided with the skimmer.

Genvid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Akula 160, I'm wondering if someone connected it to a CO2 scrubber, how did you do it.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull the line from the silencer where it attaches to the venturi on the pump and let it dangle (wont bother anything) or remove the hose altogether. Then attach the Scubber directly to the venturi nipple

Rmike545

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what size air tube will fit on the pipe in the silencer on the Akula 200 to connect it to a co2 scrubber?

Kedron1977

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve owned most high end skimmers that have been on the market the last five years (Bubble King, Deltec, Nyos, Reef Octopus) and today I want to talk about one that is sort of new to the USA but is a reputable name overseas I believe from Italy.

Enter the Ultra Reef’s Akula UKS skimmer (I have the 160 version).

First impressions:

- In the box I thought the body was glass. The acrylic is so nice and clear and when tapped with the finger almost felt like glass.

-Super simple assembly.

-Very robust rubber feet to absorb vibration.

-Titanium screws
-Very thick material; dead on if not better than Bubble King.

- Sicce PSK+ series pump; proven performance affordable cost of replacement. I love the Royal Exclusiv RD3 but it’s a big financial hit if it needs replacement. Which they usually don’t.

-Air adjustment screw on silencer. This should be standard on all skimmers to hone in the foam, especially on AC pump skimmers.

-DEAD SILENT. I can not hear it at all. The noise in my video is the overflow.

- Zero break in, immediately started skimming.

- Very fine adjustments can be made for precise level in the skimmer.

-Uses a gasket on the collection cup rather than a twist lock or O ring. O rings tend to wear quickly when being constantly removed from their seat and the twist lock on the Nyos has developed a reputation for almost welding itself on.

449EFED3-420B-40DF-A2C7-558E238DF91F.jpeg image.jpg
Do they come a auto shut off just in case it overflows

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back