Ultrasonic Flow Meter - the TUF-2000B

KWolfe81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a chance and bought this ultrasonic flow meter from aliexpress. I gotta tell you, I'm pretty thrilled with it so far. This is in advance of installing a UV sterilizer so I wanted to read flow rates better than the fill-a-bucket-test. But I don't own an apex nor frankly do I trust any in-line meter. Being non-contact/non-intrusive/easy to retrofit, this just seemed too good to not try out.

At the expense of sounding like a salesman, there are several different TUF-2000 meters available in different form factors. The TUF-2000B is IP67 rated, which is what I got. You choose different transponders depending on pipe diameter (I bought the TS2 for my 1" Sch 40 PVC ), slap some grease on them, strap them to the pipe, set a couple of settings on the unit and BAM, non-intrusive flow meter readings (ok, in all honesty, it took a little while to RTFM and figure out how to get it installed correctly). Unfortunately, I don't have anything to verify the readings, but I'm getting 400 gallons/hour, which matches what I expected to get with my setup.

The unit is also LOADED with additional features including data logging options, daily sums, a modbus interface, and an 'Open Collector Transistor' output (digital relay). In fact, I've already connected an ESP32S2 MCU to the modbus interface and am wirelessly streaming flow rates up to my HomeAssistant server every 5 seconds. Once the UV sterilizer is plumbed in, I'll also wire that up to the relay to turn the bulb off automatically if flow rates drop to zero.

I'd be happy to share notes, steps to get the thing up and running, tips, or ESP32/HomeAssistant code if anyone is interested.

Cheers!

Pic of the case:

PXL_20220720_043656716.jpg

Pic of the sensors. Rubber bands are temporary.

PXL_20220720_043703970.jpg

Pic of the insides. ESP32, RS485, and DC-DC converter conveniently installed in the cavity behind the main PCB:

PXL_20220720_043800225.jpg

Home Assistant plot of flow data:

home_assistant_view.png

Last edited:

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in how accurate these are. Is there any way you could do a "fill-a-bucket-test" and compare that to the read out? TIA

OP
OP
K

KWolfe81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in how accurate these are. Is there any way you could do a "fill-a-bucket-test" and compare that to the read out? TIA
I could probably put some test together in my garage. I think I have a bilge pump laying around that I could hook up, so rates wouldn't be return-pump rates, but should at least be a data-point. I probably can't get to it for a week or two, but I'll definitely let you know how it goes.

OP
OP
K

KWolfe81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefer Reboot
@blaxsun

Ok, curiosity got the better of me. Scouring the house, I found I had everything I needed and ran the test. TLDR: it's spot on.

First, I ran the flow meter with the pump pumping water out and then back into the same bucket. Readings: 282 to 285 gallons / hour.

Next, I then rotated the pump around to fill a different bucket with 1 gallon increments. Started the pump, marked the time when it crossed the 1-gallon & 3-gallon marks, and the repeat. I ran the test three times, with it taking, 26, 25, and 26 seconds to fill 2 gallons. That works out to ~12.8 seconds / gallon.... or 280 gallons / hour. Boosh!

TBH, I was shocked at how close the flow meter came to my test! But I'm satisfied.

PXL_20220721_024810846.jpg
PXL_20220721_024702452.jpg
PXL_20220721_030350554.jpg

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great testing write up on that. Thanks! One more question, I've been looking up data sheets on this unit but can not find anything that gives an optimal flow rate range. Specifically looking for something that could tell me if it is capable of accurately reading flow rates of around 3,000 GPH or more through a 2" pipe. Is there anything in your manual that refers to this? TIA again.

OP
OP
K

KWolfe81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great testing write up on that. Thanks! One more question, I've been looking up data sheets on this unit but can not find anything that gives an optimal flow rate range. Specifically looking for something that could tell me if it is capable of accurately reading flow rates of around 3,000 GPH or more through a 2" pipe. Is there anything in your manual that refers to this? TIA again.
Not in the manual I received. Here's a PDF of the one included: https://www.ecefast.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/TUF-2000-Series-User-Manual.pdf

It seems these meters are resold by a bunch of different distributers on aliexpress. Here's one that does include more specifications: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2251832648556024.html

They list flow rate measurements from 0-±7m/s. 7m/s in a 2" ID pipe is a max limit 13494 gallons / hour. Please double check my math.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not in the manual I received. Here's a PDF of the one included: https://www.ecefast.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/TUF-2000-Series-User-Manual.pdf

It seems these meters are resold by a bunch of different distributers on aliexpress. Here's one that does include more specifications: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2251832648556024.html

They list flow rate measurements from 0-±7m/s. 7m/s in a 2" ID pipe is a max limit 13494 gallons / hour. Please double check my math.
Thanks for that! (I came up with 14,130GPH but that was pre-coffee:yawning-face:) Either way it looks like it can handle plenty of flow. Time to go order one!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I am looking for a reasonable cost flow rate for my UV system. This sounds interesting as I do not want to plumb one in permanently.
Is this unit something you can move to another pipe if needed? I do not foresee me moving it, but just wondering. I want it on my exit line of the UV so I know the flow (obvious reasons).
It sounds easy to set up as I am not overly techy.

OP
OP
K

KWolfe81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I am looking for a reasonable cost flow rate for my UV system. This sounds interesting as I do not want to plumb one in permanently.
Is this unit something you can move to another pipe if needed? I do not foresee me moving it, but just wondering. I want it on my exit line of the UV so I know the flow (obvious reasons).
It sounds easy to set up as I am not overly techy.
I'm out on the road and will get back to you better in a few days. There's a few gotchas, and it isn't Apple-level user friendly but I think it'll suit your needs

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily my hubby is a developer/programmer, but I wanted to do this on my own. I am a bit more than Apple user, but not much. :)

Thanks for getting back with me soon. I appreciate the help.

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@KWolfe81 just checking in...are things still going well with this device? I'm in the same spot: I don't want to put something into my system, and I want to monitor flow for my UV.

Thanks!

jumpyjpl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a chance and bought this ultrasonic flow meter from aliexpress. I gotta tell you, I'm pretty thrilled with it so far. This is in advance of installing a UV sterilizer so I wanted to read flow rates better than the fill-a-bucket-test. But I don't own an apex nor frankly do I trust any in-line meter. Being non-contact/non-intrusive/easy to retrofit, this just seemed too good to not try out.

At the expense of sounding like a salesman, there are several different TUF-2000 meters available in different form factors. The TUF-2000B is IP67 rated, which is what I got. You choose different transponders depending on pipe diameter (I bought the TS2 for my 1" Sch 40 PVC ), slap some grease on them, strap them to the pipe, set a couple of settings on the unit and BAM, non-intrusive flow meter readings (ok, in all honesty, it took a little while to RTFM and figure out how to get it installed correctly). Unfortunately, I don't have anything to verify the readings, but I'm getting 400 gallons/hour, which matches what I expected to get with my setup.

The unit is also LOADED with additional features including data logging options, daily sums, a modbus interface, and an 'Open Collector Transistor' output (digital relay). In fact, I've already connected an ESP32S2 MCU to the modbus interface and am wirelessly streaming flow rates up to my HomeAssistant server every 5 seconds. Once the UV sterilizer is plumbed in, I'll also wire that up to the relay to turn the bulb off automatically if flow rates drop to zero.

I'd be happy to share notes, steps to get the thing up and running, tips, or ESP32/HomeAssistant code if anyone is interested.

Cheers!

Pic of the case:

PXL_20220720_043656716.jpg

Pic of the sensors. Rubber bands are temporary.

PXL_20220720_043703970.jpg

Pic of the insides. ESP32, RS485, and DC-DC converter conveniently installed in the cavity behind the main PCB:

PXL_20220720_043800225.jpg

Hello, I'm interested to du the same with an ESP and HA, can u publish the code u created?

OP
OP
K

KWolfe81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jumpyjpl

https://gitlab.com/kevinwolfe/reef_flow_meter.

Make sure you change CONFIG_EXAMPLE_WIFI_SSID & CONFIG_EXAMPLE_WIFI_PASSWORD in the sdkconfig file.

This posts MQTT messages to the server at IP address '192.168.0.41' (main.c -> line 474), and also provides a website at http://ipaddress/ota with the username 'kevin' and password 'letmein' (main.c -> line 34).

NoleP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@KWolfe81

Hello!

I have been a user of TUF 2000 B Ultrasonic Flow Meters for several years. Now I have two problems, so I'm asking for your opinion and help.
On one meter, although no cables or transducer are connected, it shows a downstream channel with a strength of DN: 58.0, as well as a Fluid Sound Velocity of 1902.2 m/s. Adjusting Gain is S1, it should be S2.
How can I solve this problem, because the meter does not show me the correct flow values.

On another such Ultrasonic Meter TUF 2000B on M47 System Lock XXXX Locked XXXX and I cannot do programming and change input data. When I type Password 0000 it shows me Password Incorrect.
In the instructions under 47, it is written that it is necessary "to send the command `LOCK0` to the serial input to unlock. Or you can write 0 to REGISTER 49-50 under MODBUS protocol".
I am interested in what hardware or converter I need and how it is connected to the PCB of the flow meter and what communication software I need.
I have a USB to RS485 / RS232 Serial Interface Converter for PLCs, Printers, point of sale Systems (PL2303HXA)

If you can help me with more detailed instructions, I would be very grateful.

Thank you for your help.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back