Under Tank Gear Arrangement Choices

Richardsonic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been test running my new system with fresh water before I commit to putting it in place and filling with saltwater and starting the cycle. I have a question regarding placement of my sump. As you can see the cabinet I have (photos show it with the doors off) has an end that is open and the other end closed. My question is this: Should I place my sump so the return pump is easily accessed from the side or should I set up my electronic controllers/power center in the end that has the better access? One consideration is if I ever need to pull the sump out completely it will be easy to have it on the open side of the cabinet. It slides right through the opening. However, it seems to me that better access to my the electronic controls might make more sense. Cable management is a big deal for me and I like to have things tidy. Also, if anyone can direct me to a comprehensive thread regarding best practices for setting up a control compartment (not even sure how it's referred to in reef world), I would appreciate that. Thanks.

IMG_1776.JPG IMG_1777.JPG

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you put the sump in there then frame it in?
Im confused how youre going to reposition it on the other side if its already in place and not removable.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha!
I think a good control cabinet section could be easily manipulated from the front section only. Youll want most of your controllers facing you anyways.

And the easy access for the sump to slide in and out will be priceless. Imagine you get a crack in the sump down the road with no way to remove other than cutting it out :eek:

OP
OP
R

Richardsonic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha!
I think a good control cabinet section could be easily manipulated from the front section only. Youll want most of your controllers facing you anyways.

And the easy access for the sump to slide in and out will be priceless. Imagine you get a crack in the sump down the road with no way to remove other than cutting it out :eek:
Yup, that seemed to me to be the main consideration. However I was thinking of having a false back in the control area where the mass of excess cabling would hide. In other words a panel that seals off the section from the sump (as pictured now) and a second one across the back where most of the controls would be mounted onto to they do face out. In that scenario the side access would be invaluable. Having not done any of this before it's hard to gauge priorities. I'd like to get things setup once and correctly to begin with. Which is probably wishful thinking...

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, that seemed to me to be the main consideration. However I was thinking of having a false back in the control area where the mass of excess cabling would hide. In other words a panel that seals off the section from the sump (as pictured now) and a second one across the back where most of the controls would be mounted onto to they do face out. In that scenario the side access would be invaluable. Having not done any of this before it's hard to gauge priorities. I'd like to get things setup once and correctly to begin with. Which is probably wishful thinking...
Cable management should be a high priority lol.
How about a plunge cut on the other side of stand with a matching door so you have access on both sides? :)

OP
OP
R

Richardsonic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm not that handy. It would be a hack job. There will be an opening in the back regardless. The cabinet was originally a peninsula stand so it will have that access. Haven't decide if I should leave them open of put the doors back on. I just know I'm not going to be interested in spending a lot of time laying on the floor working on stuff while looking at it sideways at my age.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If up against a wall, the rear access wont matter much other than to fish cables through.
Or will it be setup at peninsula again?

The only thing i see that could be a pain is if you ever need to remove the sump down the road. Other than that i guess its all preference.

OP
OP
R

Richardsonic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it's going to be up against the wall. It has a Modular Marine overflow and all of the attendant 1.5 plumbing hanging off the back so there's probably going to be at least 6 inches of clearance in which to work.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back