Underfed Fish

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went to a LFS on Saturday, 9/2/2017, and bought two new clowns for my tank and then a Mandarin the next day. After acclimating, I noticed that my original clown is a lot skinnier compared to the newer clowns I had added.

As of now I am feeding LRS Nano Frenzy once every other day as well as a few pellets every morning and night. For the mandarin I bought some "Junkie Juice" which is various pods and other things.

I am wondering what your feeding habits are for your fish, anything is helpful!

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine tanks get pellets/flakes once or twice a day as well as either frozen mysis or Reef Frenzy every evening. Everyones fat, healthy and happy. Tang gets some Nori a couple times a week too.
Do you think that feeding every other day is too little? My main concern is with nutrients in my water because my water filtration/polishing is beyond weak

teller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you feel your nutrients export is week you should change it.
Many options: macro algae, ats, biopellets, carbon dosing, etc, etc.
Many options.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think that feeding every other day is too little? My main concern is with nutrients in my water because my water filtration/polishing is beyond weak
I've read of folks feeding less... Personally I like to feed on the heavier side to keep them all as healthy as i can. If a little extra maintenance is required then so be it, I mostly enjoy it anyway. I do tend to feed my Biocube less than my Reefer knowing the filtration isnt as good but I still try to make sure they're eating a couple times a day. Whats too much or two little?? I dont know but throw them another small meal each day for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Test your water and adjust accordingly.

As much as I feed my fish are still looking to eat pretty much anything that floats by in the current. If you watch your mandarin he'll be hunting all day, every day and in reality all our fish are doing the same.

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you feel your nutrients export is week you should change it.
Many options: macro algae, ats, biopellets, carbon dosing, etc, etc.
Many options.

In the process of. College kind of stops my in and outflow of cash.

I've read of folks feeding less... Personally I like to feed on the heavier side to keep them all as healthy as i can. If a little extra maintenance is required then so be it, I mostly enjoy it anyway. I do tend to feed my Biocube less than my Reefer knowing the filtration isnt as good but I still try to make sure they're eating a couple times a day. Whats too much or two little?? I dont know but throw them another small meal each day for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Test your water and adjust accordingly.

As much as I feed my fish are still looking to eat pretty much anything that floats by in the current. If you watch your mandarin he'll be hunting all day, every day and in reality all our fish are doing the same.

Sounds good! How much reef frenzy do you feed?

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good! How much reef frenzy do you feed?[/QUOTE]

I defrost a chunk about the size of a quarter, break it up with a fork and Split about 1/3rd to the biocube (5 Fish) and 2/3rds to the reefer (9 Fish). I use a turkey baster and split that into a couple or three servings over maybe 30 minutes so it doesnt just hit the overflow.

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good! How much reef frenzy do you feed?

I defrost a chunk about the size of a quarter, break it up with a fork and Split about 1/3rd to the biocube (5 Fish) and 2/3rds to the reefer (9 Fish). I use a turkey baster and split that into a couple or three servings over maybe 30 minutes so it doesnt just hit the overflow.[/QUOTE]

Not to different. I usually do a little more just because its every other day.

timeout, quick question, did you put three clowns in the same tank together?

Havent been able to move one out yet, but so far so good. Havent noticed any signs of aggression, it actually looks like there is a little love triangle going on. The lighting will be with the naked for awhile and then the naked will go to the standard clown and then the standard will leave for the lightning. Mostly they are all together though.

I think the proper way to answer is, my 21st is in December and according to the RA and Parents, noooo theres no alcohol at all, except the Vodka for the fish.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be very very careful with them, the love triangle will turn into a lovers quarrel in a matter of seconds and you're likely to be down one fish. Hopefully you can separate them out in time, especially considering one is a maroon.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the proper way to answer is, my 21st is in December and according to the RA and Parents, noooo theres no alcohol at all, except the Vodka for the fish.[/QUOTE]

See that, you did learn something in school! Lol. Good luck!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main concern is with nutrients in my water because my water filtration/polishing is beyond weak

Folks spend a lot of energy and resources on this worry and very often overcompensate for a problem they don't even have.

Even if it is a legit problem you have, starving the fish is not the correct answer – having fewer fish is.

What have your tanks N and P levels been in the past? What are they currently? Do you have at least a little algae growing?

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, it is. Should feed small amounts several times per day for frozen and pellets once a day as they are nutritionally dense.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a LOT. Every day: Various pellets, full sheet of nori, Frozen Rod's food, PE mysis, and I add a little BRS Reef Chilli and Reef Roids to my last frozen feeding of the night. I like fat fish.

I have plenty of export to handle this much food and in fact I still have to add some PN03 and some Seachem phosphorous occasionally. That's keeps them ~5ppm NO3 and ~.05 PO4.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you should feed more than once every other day. I feed mine frozen twice a day, some nori here and there and pellets at least once a day. Well fed fish are much more vibrant and active and resilient to disease.

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks spend a lot of energy and resources on this worry and very often overcompensate for a problem they don't even have.

Even if it is a legit problem you have, starving the fish is not the correct answer – having fewer fish is.

What have your tanks N and P levels been in the past? What are they currently? Do you have at least a little algae growing?

I only have three fish haha. And I hardly ever test for anything. I've done four water tests on this tank in the 4 months its been up, two to make sure the cycle was over and two when I was switching salts. I only see the need to test when something is visibly wrong with the tank inhabitants, such as a coral closing up, extreme algae growth, etc. Last time I tested N I believe was 10ppm, didnt test P, and yes I do have a little film algae, one spot of GHA that keeps growing back, and remnants of diatoms.

Heather w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine tanks get pellets/flakes once or twice a day as well as either frozen mysis or Reef Frenzy every evening. Everyones fat, healthy and happy. Tang gets some Nori a couple times a week too.
Funny! This is EXACTLY my feeding schedule! NUTS!

Heather w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And your Mandarin are going to suffer. They only thrive in very well established tanks. I've learned this well, and emotionally,the hard way. Do you have a sump or refugium?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back