Undulated Trigger fish…

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. One of my fish stores has a tiny undulated trigger. Done a lot of research on these guys and know they are super super aggressive and will need a tank by themselves when bigger. I was wondering if a tiny guy would be okay in a community tank for a little with how slow lots of people have said they grow? My idea was to keep him with my other fish in my 125 while he is tiny and then when ge gets bigger and starts to show aggression get him a tank all by himself. Good idea or bad idea?? Ive realized triggerfish are one of my favorites and boy is this guy pretty! I know from other people on here they can get pretty nasty so thats why I was asking about a tiny baby one to start with!!

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its gonna grow a little faster than u think. They are agressive eaters that will hog alot of food and get to medium size fast. At medium size he will be murderous. So your prob talkimg 6 months of ok before he thinks the tank is his.

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd slow your roll a bit. i get where you are at in the hobby but i think a list that you narrow down after research would suit your needs better, pick a path FO, reef or wet pet and then build towards it.

i know your last crash was electrical but i think based on your stocking it would have been inevitable.

undies are likely the meanest fish in the hobby, supposedly those caught from the Red Sea are less evil but still way more than say a bluethroat, niger, pinktail or rhinecanthus sp

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the replies and honesty! I will for sure pass on this trigger and re consider way down the road when I have a tank he can have all to himself! This is why I love this form since all you guys are honest :)

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd slow your roll a bit. i get where you are at in the hobby but i think a list that you narrow down after research would suit your needs better, pick a path FO, reef or wet pet and then build towards it.

i know your last crash was electrical but i think based on your stocking it would have been inevitable.

undies are likely the meanest fish in the hobby, supposedly those caught from the Red Sea are less evil but still way more than say a bluethroat, niger, pinktail or rhinecanthus sp
Agreed on the crash realizing with the stocking was too much for my tank and then when the electrical issue happened it just was too much for the tank. Hard lesson to learn as I miss all my fish like crazy, but Im adding less fish this go around for sure. Ill stick with my original idea of blue throat trigger!

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed on the crash realizing with the stocking was too much for my tank and then when the electrical issue happened it just was too much for the tank. Hard lesson to learn as I miss all my fish like crazy, but Im adding less fish this go around for sure. Ill stick with my original idea of blue throat trigger!
i struggle with the same things myself. like a kid in a candy store.

unfortunately i have several big tanks, but all are full of big mean freshwater fish that are hard to trade, sell or give away. someday i'll fully switch gears to salt and get to play with all the fishes.

antmoney480

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. One of my fish stores has a tiny undulated trigger. Done a lot of research on these guys and know they are super super aggressive and will need a tank by themselves when bigger. I was wondering if a tiny guy would be okay in a community tank for a little with how slow lots of people have said they grow? My idea was to keep him with my other fish in my 125 while he is tiny and then when ge gets bigger and starts to show aggression get him a tank all by himself. Good idea or bad idea?? Ive realized triggerfish are one of my favorites and boy is this guy pretty! I know from other people on here they can get pretty nasty so thats why I was asking about a tiny baby one to start with!!
I had one that I stuck in the tank at 2” or so it’s now about 6” female and she is ruthless she goes after fish that are 12-14” in size if they come near her cave! Anything new in tank no chance lucky I stalked my tank all at the same time but even in a 500 they are still mean mean lil suckers! Sucks cause they are the coolest looking trigger

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it just depends, are you willing to tear apart your tank to get him out. They do grow slowly and for the most part their real aggression starts at around 4" or so, expect an 1.5" guy to get there within 3 years. This is an optimistic view, they don't necessarily need their own tank, just one that is at least 500g with other aggressive fish. My 1st tank was a 40B with an undie, niger, and picasso; after some upsizing the undie finally went to a 500g and lived happily ever after. I believe in giving a fish a good home when possible, even if as a grow out tank, but you must have a plan for rehome, a lfs will not back an undie regardless of what they say when you buy it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back