Uneven tank trim

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I built my own stand. It is level and planar, however it appeared each corner has a small gap. I checked, and checked, and checked. Then I noticed that the trim is pressed farther onto the tank on the concerning corner than the actual run when put my 4' level on it. Here's a pic. You can see the minor gap under the corner, but when the trim meets the stand, there's a gap between the level and the trim. This holds true holding the level on all 4 sides, so it's not an out of whack level. Is this a cause for concern? Should I simply shim the stand too to conform to the trim? Any advice appreciated.
IMG_7566.JPG

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sealing the wood on top prior to finalizing it. Also, I hear tons of back and forth over the idea of insulation or foam or matting under a rimmed tank. I'm a little leery to add it. I'm a second floor apartment so I can't afford to lose 80 gallons of water to my neighbor, not to mention the livestock and specimens I'll be transferring over.

Mass Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are 100% Positive that it is the trim and not your stand, then leave it to compress into the trim. It's all silicone and will adjust. Putting any foam pads under a trimmed glass tank is worthless and could cause issues later. It, however, it is the stand, then the glass panels could warp and will crack if all four corners are not flush.

SteveSTL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you take off the plywood and put a level on the stand to see if the horizontal members are crowned?

Try flipping over the plywood to see if it's crowned? (Is that plywood?)

Putting thin foam under it is just going to compound your problem as everything will be higher including the corners.

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried plywood off, same issue. Flipped plywood, same issue. No crowning of 2x4 shown with a 4' level. Dead flat across the span. Fully planar stand. The tank in offending corner is actually 1/16" shorter than the center from bottom of trim to top of glass. Exactly the corner lift measurement as well.

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trim runs full tank. Only 2 corners show noticeable rise which I compensated for and brought stand ply to meet tank in any conflicting points by shim. Have 100% contact around tank now as well as totally level.
Brand new tank
Deep blue "Edge" 80 gallon rimless

SteveSTL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would send the pics to them and see what they have to say. It may be no big deal.

So the corners are shimmed now and you have full contact? As long as they're shimmed with composite shims and not wood, you should be good but double check with the manufacturer.

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shimmed and full contact. Currently wood shims, but will probably opt to replace with composite when get home today pre-fill. I think I'll give em a shout just to be sure won't create a pressure point. Thanks everyone!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back