Unhappy Hammer, just spotted these, help?

Pastronomer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went away on work for a few days, came back to find these on my hammer skeleton. The hammer has never been that "happy", poor polyp extension, could this be the cause?

A bit of reading says they might be vermintide snails, but I've managed to get by in this hobby with my only pest being aptasia, so this is a new one for me.

Help appreciated

PXL_20231211_165906767.MP.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crush it and destroy it with vengeance and furious anger. Anytime you see them, crush them like your the enemies they are. Rain hell upon them to where they tell all other vermetid to fear you.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In other words yeah it looks like vermatid. I just take bone cutters or similar and crush them up. They can get out of control so its a good idea to deal with them as much as you can. Avoid feeding particulate foods as they may thrive on them.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that's why its unhappy. Vermited snails. Either smother them in coral glue or chip them off/crush them. You don't want those in your tank.

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Vermited snails.

Crush with pliers or fill the hole with reef epoxy. If you go the crushing route, be very careful - the skelton base on hammer corals is quite fragile. You also have to really make sure you crush the whole thing. They'll sense you coming and retreat deep into the tube.

OP
OP
P

Pastronomer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I was hoping you'd all be telling me I had an easy fix coming up. I'll get the pliers out tonight.

How about pliers and then cover with some reef epoxy for extra burying it alive.

I've been feeding reef roids recently, I'm guessing that's what they've thrived on. Would AB+ be encouraging them?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I was hoping you'd all be telling me I had an easy fix coming up. I'll get the pliers out tonight.

How about pliers and then cover with some reef epoxy for extra burying it alive.

I've been feeding reef roids recently, I'm guessing that's what they've thrived on. Would AB+ be encouraging them?

They might be able to use reef energy but I am not entirely sure. They use their webbing to pull in particulate foods like reef roids so I am not entirely sure. I wouldn't think so but never underestimate your enemy lol

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
N

My favorite method of execution is coral glue. I'd take the frag out and bury that b@stard in a in a mound of glue. Should take care of it

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I'd just put a blob of reef epoxy in the hole. Wait about a week, and then remove it since it's ugly.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back