Unhealthy Torch

CCMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a guys livestock because he was shutting the tank down and in there was this torch. Unfortunately it's definitely receding. Color is still good and it'll still eat when directly fed, I mean as much as a torch will.

I guess I'm looking to see if anyone has successfully saved a torch that's this far gone and how

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a guys livestock because he was shutting the tank down and in there was this torch. Unfortunately it's definitely receding. Color is still good and it'll still eat when directly fed, I mean as much as a torch will.

I guess I'm looking to see if anyone has successfully saved a torch that's this far gone and how
A picture, under mostly white lights showing the skeleton and flesh would be telling

OP
OP
CCMoto

CCMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 20220123_094037.jpg
    20220123_094037.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 20220123_194008.jpg
    20220123_194008.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 137

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it like this in your friends tank or is the tissue recession new?

To answer your question directly, I have been able to save exactly one torch that has recessed this far, out of 4. Alk swings and a bacterial infection hit many of my corals.

Very stable parameters, lower flow, and Cipro all played a role in recovery but as you can see, 1 out of 4 isn't a great number.

Dreamin_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can consider an iodine dip if the flesh looks like it is breaking apart or any brown jelly is forming. note that if you have BJD, speed to treat is key. I've had good success using a lugols dip to treat euphillia with BJD and other issues that resulted in flesh loss - but ive had to act quickly to see that success...

OP
OP
CCMoto

CCMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it like this in your friends tank or is the tissue recession new?

To answer your question directly, I have been able to save exactly one torch that has recessed this far, out of 4. Alk swings and a bacterial infection hit many of my corals.

Very stable parameters, lower flow, and Cipro all played a role in recovery but as you can see, 1 out of 4 isn't a great number.
It was like this in the other guys tank, not a friend either lol (fb marketplace)
And yeah, I know it's a long shot but I wanna try... love the coloring on this one

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was like this in the other guys tank, not a friend either lol (fb marketplace)
And yeah, I know it's a long shot but I wanna try... love the coloring on this one
There is hope! Torches also generally hate being moved and transported. I hope it makes a full recovery for you

OP
OP
CCMoto

CCMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can consider an iodine dip if the flesh looks like it is breaking apart or any brown jelly is forming. note that if you have BJD, speed to treat is key. I've had good success using a lugols dip to treat euphillia with BJD and other issues that resulted in flesh loss - but ive had to act quickly to see that success...
I can't see any sign of bjd. I think he just neglected the tank tbh

OP
OP
CCMoto

CCMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a week and a half later it's opened up more and hasn't been getting worse. Got a pic during ramping down of the lights

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back