Unidentified crab

Nitheesh H N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got live rock into my aquarium. There was no activity or any sign of any critter for the first few days. On the 6th day, I noticed a random crab hiding under my rock. See pics attached.

Is this guy of any danger to my system? The tank is a FOWLR with 2 hermit crabs and 3 anemones . But I intend to add corals eventually.

IMG-20171118-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20171118-WA0003.jpg

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Nitheesh H N

Nitheesh H N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure, but black claws are not usually a good sign. Do you think that you could get it out for a better id?

It was hiding under a large rock when I spotted it. In the time since I uploaded this thread, it's moved to another spot and I can't find it anymore.
It clearly did have black claws though.

I agree.That is probably a Xanthid crab of some sort.You could try matching it up with one of the pictures in this link.
http://www.wildsingapore.com/wildfacts/crustacea/crab/xanthidae/xanthidae.htm

It does look like the rock crab in the link you shared. Same body colour and claw colour.

Does this crab attack fish? I ask because three of my clowns have had their tail fins damaged in the week since the rock was added. There's been no sign of fighting among the clowns.

OP
OP
Nitheesh H N

Nitheesh H N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Spotted the crab once more in between the rock structure. I think kireek was right. It looks very similar to the rock crab mentioned in the article shared.

I think I'll have to remove it the next time it shows up out of the rock.

Pics are not of the best quality but you can see it there.
415F13DC-CEBD-4C48-B978-8147925CDC44.jpg
418B844C-5474-4928-A9FD-8E4998213D43.jpg

OP
OP
Nitheesh H N

Nitheesh H N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to reach in. The problem is that he's in between the rock structure and I cannot think of any way to remove him without the entire structure falling apart, which I'm trying to avoid as my carpet anemone has made itself comfortable on the rocks.

The crab seems to prefer the dark a bit more. So going to turn off the lights and wait for him to show up outside the rock structure. Should hopefully be able to catch him then.

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to reach in. The problem is that he's in between the rock structure and I cannot think of any way to remove him without the entire structure falling apart, which I'm trying to avoid as my carpet anemone has made itself comfortable on the rocks.

The crab seems to prefer the dark a bit more. So going to turn off the lights and wait for him to show up outside the rock structure. Should hopefully be able to catch him then.
Also, you can use a red flashligh to see in the dark., they cannot see red light o it will not scare them.

sagee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You might have to get some kind of skewer or something thin like that you can fit in the rocks to stab and kill it unfortunately.

OP
OP
Nitheesh H N

Nitheesh H N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's a small critter (about the size of a small coin). Gonna wait for him to come out of the rock. Will probable skewer him then. Don't want to risk having my rocks fall down on my anemones.

Really grateful for the help though.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could take him off your hands for you.To be realistic, the rocks will probably need to be removed in order to catch it.On another note you may want to get a picture of your clown fish and create a post in the fish disease forum. https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-and-diagnosis.771/ .Just to be certain that they are well and not suffering from a ailment.

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could build a coke bottle trap and try to catch him that way.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn't sweat something like that in a FOWLR. I had a decent sized mud crab in one of mine. The only thing he ate was a small blue crab I put in there. Other than that he just kept the tank clean. He never bothered the gobies.

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait until dark, take a small hunk of shrimp, tie it with a piece of monofilament or thread, drop it into the tank near where u think it lives, and ...... wait. When he comes out, and he will, he'll glom onto the shrimp and you can gently (slowly) lift him out of the tank without disturbing the rock. This has worked for me several times over the years to catch small rock crabs, gorillas, and even a mantis shrimp. I gently bring a net in under the crab as I lift JUST in case he lets go, but they usually hang right on. And yes, a red light will let you see it with freaking it out.

Back