Unidentified Pest

Reef8008

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 30, 2021
Messages
29
Reaction score
11
Location
Clearwater
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New reefer. 32g bio cube. Just finished cycling and added some clean up crew yesterday from my LFS (4 astria, 10 blue legged crabs - that’s all they had available). This morning 3 crabs appear dead, one shell has holes in it, and I see this freaking thing. what the heck is this?! I put on some gloves and tried to grab it but the flipping thing was fast and darted below the rock.
450F4B5B-EF42-4593-B53E-0D92522CEDA6.jpeg
 
That is a bristleworm. They help clean up uneaten food and usually don't pose any problems in our tanks. Good call using a glove when trying to touch it because their bristles can inflict a painful sting.
 
I might have to quit. Not sure I could resist the urge to pour gasoline on my tank if I run into some of these creepy crawlies. Shudder.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 6.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 6.7%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 6.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new