Union question

Discussion in 'Synergy Reef Systems' started by Brew12, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

I am planning a new build and am leaning toward using a Ghost overflow. I am concerned that a 1 1/2" union will not fit directly beneath (using 4" PVC) the 16" Ghost overflow. The Spears, schedule 80, 1 1/2" union is 3-9/16" in diameter. Will that fit 4" under the overflow without hitting the tank?

It isn't a big deal if it is. I'll just drop the plumbing down a few extra inches, reduce it to 1", and use a 1" union. That way I have plenty of room to cut the old union off and add a new one if the need ever arises. I'm just trying to plan ahead.

Thanks!

Tags:

2. mixer911

mixer911 Make them green with envy R2R Supporter MTRCMember Gold Sponsor

Hi @Brew12

You do not need to use schedule 80 Unions. They are very large and also restrict the flow more. We have grey 1.5" schedule 40 unions if you need them. I will be adding them to our website so you can order then directly from us. They fit behind the tank perfectly and have no clearance issues. Here is a photo of them installed on one of our tanks. If you need to reduce down you can reduce after the union also.

But Yes the one you are talking about should work as well. The clearance is about 3.5" max.

DJI_20170825_104455.jpg

3. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Fantastic, thank you for your help. I have had less luck finding schedule 40 unions so I'm glad to see you will be stocking them!

mixer911 likes this.
  4. Pelagic One

Pelagic One Active Member R2R Supporter

I have the Spears schedule 80 unions a few inches below my Shadow overflow, with my tank flush to the rear of the stand. I’m on the road and cannot share pics today, but I get just enough clearance to hand-tighten the unions, but not enough to get my fingers between the unions and back of the tank. It is a clean installation, but I closely followed other forum members’ advice by dry-fitting all PVC fittings and pipe before gluing.

It is good to know that Synnergy Reef offers the gray schedule 40 unions with the smaller diameter, however.

Draft saved Draft deleted