Unique fish for 65 gallon??

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks! yes I do like wrasses and I plan on having a few. I was looking for something a bit larger as the center piece, but I may be limited on that with my size tank. I love leopard wrasse but I heard they are difficult to wean on to dead food. As for the lion, what type of live food do you have to feed yours?

Leopard wrasses are tough, but Ive found an excellent routine that works very well. Have an observational qt set up especially for them, sand and a mature rock and even macro algae for pods to live in, seed the tank with pods. The sand can even be the cheap play sand from home depot. Treat for internal parasites immediately, there' s a couple of different protcols you can use. Feed live brine shrimp, live black worms, even small ghosties if the wrasse is big enough. Re seed the tank with pods whsn necessary. Start mixing in frozen brine with ghe live brine, then mix in some mysis, then other foods. Do not count on them to learn on their own by putting them directly in the dt, and do not overlook the likelyhood they have internal parasites.

I feed my lions live ghosties, guppies, and mollies. Regardless of any of the small lions, you can not 100% count on them eating dead food, so to be fare you must be prepared to feed tbem live. Ive found it to be very difficult in a community tank that wasnt set up for the lion as the centerpiece.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard wrasses are tough, but Ive found an excellent routine that works very well. Have an observational qt set up especially for them, sand and a mature rock and even macro algae for pods to live in, seed the tank with pods. The sand can even be the cheap play sand from home depot. Treat for internal parasites immediately, there' s a couple of different protcols you can use. Feed live brine shrimp, live black worms, even small ghosties if the wrasse is big enough. Re seed the tank with pods whsn necessary. Start mixing in frozen brine with ghe live brine, then mix in some mysis, then other foods. Do not count on them to learn on their own by putting them directly in the dt, and do not overlook the likelyhood they have internal parasites.

I feed my lions live ghosties, guppies, and mollies. Regardless of any of the small lions, you can not 100% count on them eating dead food, so to be fare you must be prepared to feed tbem live. Ive found it to be very difficult in a community tank that wasnt set up for the lion as the centerpiece.
thank you very much! I appreciate all of the advice

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have considered lion fish, but I tend to keep my hands in the tank.

I agree with you @DSC reef, thats why im looking for something unique because I cant have too many more fish.

Keep your hands in the tank? I take it the Cinnamon Clowns aren't established much yet? They will bite you. If your tank were longer I might recommend a Bluehead Wrasse, but they need a good size 4 foot tank (ie 75 gallon or larger). A dwarf angel might be food for the eel when it's smaller and the clowns will likely pick on it.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep your hands in the tank? I take it the Cinnamon Clowns aren't established much yet? They will bite you. If your tank were longer I might recommend a Bluehead Wrasse, but they need a good size 4 foot tank (ie 75 gallon or larger). A dwarf angel might be food for the eel when it's smaller and the clowns will likely pick on it.
yes, my cinnamons bite me a lot. they dont hurt too bad though and I just shoo them away. bluehead wrasses are very nice, but I agree my tank is too small. thanks!

gtrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i recently picked up a sunburst anthias for my 65g. Beautiful fish. happy and eating mysis after a week. a bit shy at first but is now coming out when i sit in front of the tank.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i recently picked up a sunburst anthias for my 65g. Beautiful fish. happy and eating mysis after a week. a bit shy at first but is now coming out when i sit in front of the tank.
thanks! ill have to look into them!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back