Unique or rare acro growth formations

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of all the acropora I have had I have one favorite of them all. What about you? Please share your favorite acropora, not by color but by how rare or unique it's growth formation is. I think these days we are focused way too much on colors and don't apreciate the unique growth patterns we see.
So what's your favorite one that you have not seen anywhere else? No excuses, a decent phone pic will work we aren't all pros here.

This is my favorite, I got it transhipped from Figi and its was collected wild. I had it rtn and grew this from a small piece that lived. It's polyps are green right now but on new growth get red towards the tips and the new tips are bright blue along with the coralites. It's been idle since I broke down my system into a Rubbermaid but is starting new growth again.

Even though when happy it's colors are great, the growth formation is what I love about it. It grows in long stag like branches but grows horizontally instead of upward. I remember it standing out in the box right away and have been rooting for it to take off again ever since I cut some branches off to share with some local reefers.
d72228e7ff43b08be03da02a72363f33.jpg

OP
OP
Graffiti Spot

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that blue part the same coral? The part that's touching the stylo?

I like the setosa growth as well, flow really plays a part in it too. I had one a while back that was a huge 12" table, completely flat. Probably the only Monti I like.

OP
OP
Graffiti Spot

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, some of those tricolor prostrata were hard to transition a few years ago, I haven't tried since. I have a pic of the acro I posted when it arrived and one of it when it was peeling with super glue on it too, I will try to find them.

Everyone feel free to post, there is always something different in every tank I see although sometimes it doesn't stand out right away. This is why I figured this topic could be cool.

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of growth form, I like my simplex/tenella (too young to be certain). It's beginning to get the flat, skirted branches, although in captivity, they do not form plates.
20190113_110827-01.jpeg

OP
OP
Graffiti Spot

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I love those deepwater as well, thanks for bumping this thread too. I can see the parts starting to come off the sides look like they are about to start taking off. Growth form is really not top of the list for anyone these days but it seems like the people that have been in it for a while still respect a really cool acro even if its green :)
I have one smooth skin I am hoping starts growing but I am not sure of the species since it was just the middle of a table of branches that was cut out I don't have any tips to see. My whole tank right now is based on which species I like and not color. Lots of stags and a few of the harder pieces I love so much like spathulata and a samoensis. The piece I posted in the first post I have managed to frag a few times to get in others tanks and its starting to put out new growth again. I am really curious as to what on earth it is because I have never seen the growth pattern and such odd coralite structure.

OP
OP
Graffiti Spot

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tony my favorite deepwater is acropora jacquelinae, I tried a wild aussie colony i believe, a while back back but didn't get much growth or color out of it. Its still my favorite growth form from the smooth skin corals though.

One more bump just to try and get some more pics on here.

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the structure on this little frag. It's just starting to take off so will be interesting to see how it grows.
7722034608_0Q4A3683.jpeg

OP
OP
Graffiti Spot

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice, has the rosaria loripes look to it, I have always liked those corals but haven't kept any yet. Its rare to find a variety of deepwater stuff anymore.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back