Unique? Return Plumbing Idea

Reefing In Turkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so before I start I know loc line is a good solution, but I am reefing in Turkey and over here we have to be a little creative now and then.

Here’s the rub. Currently for my return pipe I have 20mm (.75”) pvc plumbed over the top, then down below the waterline and then a 90deg fitting returning water out into the display tank. I keep thinking this is to much focused flow that doesn’t change or move around. I want to disperse the flow without adding a second return. Does anyone see a down side of the following. When the pvc 90s over the top lip of the tank run a piece of pipe in the corner down to the sand and cap it off at the bottom. Then (before it is installed) cut a slit in the length of the pipe with a table saw. Essentially making a top to bottom slit return. The width of the slit could be fiddled with to minimize back pressure and reduce the force coming out of to small of a slit.

Thoughts?

Good or bad idea?

Thanks in advance for the opinions

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so before I start I know loc line is a good solution, but I am reefing in Turkey and over here we have to be a little creative now and then.

Here’s the rub. Currently for my return pipe I have 20mm (.75”) pvc plumbed over the top, then down below the waterline and then a 90deg fitting returning water out into the display tank. I keep thinking this is to much focused flow that doesn’t change or move around. I want to disperse the flow without adding a second return. Does anyone see a down side of the following. When the pvc 90s over the top lip of the tank run a piece of pipe in the corner down to the sand and cap it off at the bottom. Then (before it is installed) cut a slit in the length of the pipe with a table saw. Essentially making a top to bottom slit return. The width of the slit could be fiddled with to minimize back pressure and reduce the force coming out of to small of a slit.

Thoughts?

Good or bad idea?

Thanks in advance for the opinions

You could also do a spray bar along the top.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maxresdefault.jpg

OP
OP
Reefing In Turkey

Reefing In Turkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spray bar! Solid idea. My only initial though is as the tank is rimless a horizontal version might be visably more minimal.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem you will have with a vertical return like you are suggesting is that the water will get out through the easiest pathway. That means that the majority of the flow will be in the first couple inches, and by the time you get to the bottom of the pipe, there will be little to no flow at all. If you really want to go that route, then a horizontal spray bar is a much better choice, but even then, to keep the flow even all the way across, you'll need to have an input at each end to equalize the pressure throughout. You can do that with a single return pump, but will greatly complicate the plumbing before the spray bar.

I would suggest that rather than go that route, you increase tank flow with several power heads placed inside the tank and just stick with the over the top return you already have.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the spray bar in my 180g tank. I made it a giant, square "S" shape and ran it down the back glass. It was then hidden behind rocks that I ran from the sand at the front of the tank up almost to the water surface at the back wall. That maximized the amount of space I had to place coral. I also varied the hole sizes starting with small holes near the top and bigger holes at the bottom. This was in my tank for 6 years any worked well. When I took it down (the tank developed a leaky seal) all the holes were still open and useable. No algae or coraline grew over them.

closed loop & spraybars by Ron Lindensmith, on Flickr

The plumbing that is hanging above the tank was used with a closed loop and an Ocean Motion with Revolution heads. The pipe at the far right was a drain directly to the skimmer.

This was the finished system. BTW, it had an 8'x2'x18" sump/refugium in the 11' long stand!
P1060001R1 by Ron Lindensmith, on Flickr

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't (don't) worry about my return line creating the tank flow.

Use something else for the tank flow like a few powerheads. I use 2 gyres.

klesel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did mine with two separate return lines one from main pump one from chiller split them so there no cold or warm spots . I could only do this because of a in wall aquarium and been so pleased.
20180729_141714.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back