Unique shrimp

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
saron shrimp. bumblebee shrimp. bullseye snapping shrimp. & pederson shrimp are cool too.

if you dont have any other inhabitants and are looking for something more interesting, look into mantis shrimp. please do plenty of research on everything before purchasing.

OP
OP
krollins

krollins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon tank
2 clown fish(1 normal, one black)
2 green chromis
1 Bicolor foxface
1 bangi cardinal fish
1 Black striped cardinal
1 engineer goby
1 Dusky jawfish
1 Scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp
1 Blue coral banded shrimp
1 peppermint shrimp
20 hermit crabs(one the size of a golf ball)
7 turbo snails
10 cerith snails
8 nassurius snails
3 conchs
green rhoadactis mushroom
purple people eater zoanthids
toadstool leather coral
kenya tree

Quote Reply

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the type of sea cucumber mater
I don't know. @ISpeakForTheSeas do you know about emperor shrimp selectivity of their host (?) cucumbers?

My understanding of them is that they are ill adapted to survival in our tanks without a cucumber, and they are quite small, but curious creatures.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know. @ISpeakForTheSeas do you know about emperor shrimp selectivity of their host (?) cucumbers?

My understanding of them is that they are ill adapted to survival in our tanks without a cucumber, and they are quite small, but curious creatures.
I know some, and they don't seem to be terribly picky, but yes, they won't survive long without a host. They've been documented on several different sea cucumbers, nudibranchs, and even plakobranchs.

They've also be reported with a couple crinoids and sea stars, but I'm not sure I trust those reports, as Emperor Shrimp (Zenopontonia rex) often look remarkably like the Starfish Shrimp (Zenopontonia soror), and may well have been confused with them in the studies.

"The imperial cleaner shrimp is a commensal species*, living on the bodies of large sea cucumbers ( Stichophus , Bohadschia , Thelenota, Opheodesoma, Synapta ) as well as large slugs ( Pleurobranchus , Hexabranchus , Chromodoris, Dendrodoris , Asteronotus , Ceratosoma, Hypselodoris ) and gastropods ( Cyprea ). It has also been observed, but very rarely, on starfish ( Echinaster, Gomophia ). This list of hosts is not exhaustive."*

For sea cucumbers specifically, I know for sure they've been found on Thelenota anax and Synapta maculata - a lot of places offer them for sale already paired with S. maculata.

I expect they'd go for a lot of Synaptid species and probably a lot of Stichopodid species, but I don't know for sure.

*Source (it's in French - sorry):

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added this to the other thread, but I figure it's well suited here for anyone interested:
there are plenty of unique shrimp out there - pistol shrimp, bumblebee shrimp, saron shrimp (any shrimp of the Saron genus is going to be a cool shrimp IMO), tiger/bongo shrimp, lots of different cleaner shrimp, sexy shrimp, rock shrimp, green lantern shrimp, a variety of "table" (human food) shrimp (these get large and may or may not eat small inverts - not a lot of people keep them), etc.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 53 74.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back