Unknown Coral/Nem. Identification help

Eyezik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these to hitch hikers, 1 from a rock, and another was on the base of a Kenya Tree I bought. Just want to make sure both are safe and okay to have in a tank as well as what type they are. Sorry for the blurry pictures they are very small.
7F549D36-C8D6-4DBC-9430-A36BECB754A9.jpeg 087FF440-E9F1-4DE0-AFD0-1AAD1D15BD94.jpeg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get rid of both. Unless you think the paly is pretty and you want more of them.

OP
OP
Eyezik

Eyezik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia and brown palythoa. Get rid of the aiptasia, keep the palythoa.
Hey, sorry I forgot to include this in the original post, do you happen to know what these white and brown worm like things our? They were all over this rock and my LFS didn’t mention them when I bought the rock.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, sorry I forgot to include this in the original post, do you happen to know what these white and brown worm like things our? They were all over this rock and my LFS didn’t mention them when I bought the rock.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
White worm-like: Feather dusters
Brown worm-like: Vermitid snails

Generally, we wont go all out of our way to get rid of both but if you are able to, try to remove the brown ones (vermitid) as much as possible. In small numbers vermitids don’t do much but if they start exploding in numbers, their mucous web may irritate corals.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say start dipping and cleaning and throwing stuff out. That looks like one of the toxic palys (i try to stay away from them personally) vermetids are annoying too. Might want to stick with frags in the future that are easy to inspect, dip and remove coral from frag plug so nothing bad is introduced to the tank

OP
OP
Eyezik

Eyezik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say start dipping and cleaning and throwing stuff out. That looks like one of the toxic palys (i try to stay away from them personally) vermetids are annoying too. Might want to stick with frags in the future that are easy to inspect, dip and remove coral from frag plug so nothing bad is introduced to the tank
Good to know, I am a newbie so I am very unaware of some technics. Do you have a video or maybe article you would recommend going over removing frags from plugs correctly?

Also, what looks like a toxic palys?

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know, I am a newbie so I am very unaware of some technics. Do you have a video or maybe article you would recommend going over removing frags from plugs correctly?

Button polyps are a common name for the most common type of palythoa (palys) for short. Many palys contain palytoxin which is a very poisonous toxin. As long as they are handled with care most people never experience a problem (eye protection & gloves if directly handling or fragging). These are probably the least colorful type of paly or zoanthid coral that exists and they grow like weeds. If you like them, you should have no problem getting them to grow wherever you want. Most people would choose a ‘prettier’ paly or zoa to cover the back wall.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

the "button polyps" are also called palythoa and can be toxic as people have reported on reef2reef (in unique situation) going to the hospital or getting sick from them, not worth the risk for me.
matters what coral we are talking about, sps and lps can usually be broken off with a knife while soft corals can me easily damaged if i tried to remove say a mushroom from a frag plug. I personally use 3 rounds of dip right now for all corals going in.
bayers insecticide, coral rx, and hydrogen peroxide and lost zero corals while dipping but i wouldnt recommend bayers for new people as it is harder to use

OP
OP
Eyezik

Eyezik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Button polyps are a common name for the most common type of palythoa (palys) for short. Many palys contain palytoxin which is a very poisonous toxin. As long as they are handled with care most people never experience a problem (eye protection & gloves if directly handling or fragging). These are probably the least colorful type of paly or zoanthid coral that exists and they grow like weeds. If you like them, you should have no problem getting them to grow wherever you want. Most people would choose a ‘prettier’ paly or zoa to cover the back wall.
Sounds good, ngtl I redid my aquascape and glued down most of my coral to rocks, and in the process forgot about my little guy and he is now buried in the sand. I will probably invest in a better-looking Koa anyway. Thank you for the repsonce.

OP
OP
Eyezik

Eyezik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the "button polyps" are also called palythoa and can be toxic as people have reported on reef2reef (in unique situation) going to the hospital or getting sick from them, not worth the risk for me.
matters what coral we are talking about, sps and lps can usually be broken off with a knife while soft corals can me easily damaged if i tried to remove say a mushroom from a frag plug. I personally use 3 rounds of dip right now for all corals going in.
bayers insecticide, coral rx, and hydrogen peroxide and lost zero corals while dipping but i wouldnt recommend bayers for new people as it is harder to use
I will have to look into dipping as that does sound a bit confusing, but I did end up getting some reef glue and cutting off all my plugs and bases and glue them to rubble rock.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back