OP
kels64

kels64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looking at these pictures of all these wonderful species that you guys have told me about I’m thinking Alcyonium digitatum aka Dead man’s fingers

OP
OP
kels64

kels64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK maybe not because this is it grows in the waters of the northern Atlantic around Britain and Ireland and my reef tank it’s way warmer than that.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had never heard of that species before but looking it up it does look a lot like those pictures. Interesting!
In the 90's I worked at one of the few coral farms at the time and we grew nearly 120 species of soft corals alone, so I have a lot of practice when it comes to spotting these guys. "Colt" corals cover a few different species, much like other animals in this hobby that share common names, that's why I generally use scientific names to identify animals, it's actually easier for me.

OP
OP
kels64

kels64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the 90's I worked at one of the few coral farms at the time and we grew nearly 120 species of soft corals alone, so I have a lot of practice when it comes to spotting these guys. "Colt" corals cover a few different species, much like other animals in this hobby that share common names, that's why I generally use scientific names to identify animals, it's actually easier for me.
So would that species of coral be able to grow in my reef tank with the warm water?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK maybe not because this is it grows in the waters of the northern Atlantic around Britain and Ireland and my reef tank it’s way warmer than that.
So would that species of coral be able to grow in my reef tank with the warm water?
Yes, it's probably from indo-pacific or possibly from the Red Sea (if you're lucky). Identifying the actual species is a little problematic though.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can instantly know what you have by just touching the base of these corals. The "common colt" coral will always be slimy to the touch, whereas sinularia, capnella and the like will most likely have physical sclerites that you can feel. These are small, fiberglass like structures that feel rough and bumpy along the base of the coral.

OP
OP
kels64

kels64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can instantly know what you have by just touching the base of these corals. The "common colt" coral will always be slimy to the touch, whereas sinularia, capnella and the like will most likely have physical sclerites that you can feel. These are small, fiberglass like structures that feel rough and bumpy along the base of the coral.
It definitely feels rough and not slimy.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back