OP
Justfebreezeit

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I emailed santamonica and they said the weight was just iron so it shouldn't be an issue. I'm forever a skeptic, so while I know that gfo is kind of iron rust I have a hard time believing a rusty weight wouldnt cause any issues.

That's it for now, will update if the corals get better or worse in a week or more. T

Thanks for all the replies and help everyone.

OP
OP
Justfebreezeit

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update here. I think it was the rusty weight. It got worse for about a week. Multiple white spots and burnt tips. However now its definitely recovering. Only one white spot left with a little algae on it. If it dosen't fight that off I'll put a dab of glue over it

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update here. I think it was the rusty weight. It got worse for about a week. Multiple white spots and burnt tips. However now its definitely recovering. Only one white spot left with a little algae on it. If it dosen't fight that off I'll put a dab of glue over it

Going off of the first picture, isn't this just coral warfare? You have what appears to be a monti growing into the bonsai.

OP
OP
Justfebreezeit

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I'll Take a picture when I get home. The bonsai has killed back about an inch of the monti and grown right over it. The white spot started on the other side of the coral bonsai

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rusting metals will most definitely cause big issues with your reef, I just about lost one of my tanks from a rusting magnet.. after it was removed my tank recovered quickly. A poly bio marine “poly filter” will help absorb some of the contamination.

OP
OP
Justfebreezeit

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rusting metals will most definitely cause big issues with your reef, I just about lost one of my tanks from a rusting magnet.. after it was removed my tank recovered quickly. A poly bio marine “poly filter” will help absorb some of the contamination.

Definitely, I ran poly for 2 weeks and did a couple extra water changes and things are recovering.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back