Unknown Growth On Toadstool Leather

gad2ski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I have recently bought a Toadstool Leather from my LFS. After placing him in the tank I have noticed a pretty large, dark growth on him, that was previously covered by green algae (my power head took care of that problem) and unnoticeable. I did my best to locate the above growth on line but of course I came up empty handed. Could someone please help me with assessing whether that is normal or whether I should worry about it? My knowledge on SW habitat is limited and on my own I can only wait and observe.

My tank’s parameters are all within the required range and the tank is well cycled. It’s about 3 months old with no other problems.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, for me it looks like a rock it may have been attached to originally and now grown over. Then the rock got covered in coralline algae.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide us with a picture to help with diagnosis:)

OP
OP
gad2ski

gad2ski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
84435AF6-7876-4AB5-ADE2-469252A09530.jpeg

OP
OP
gad2ski

gad2ski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ilyad! That’s what I have thought at first but it looks like this thing is not a rock though.

Somehow I have started 2 of the same threads at the same time. Sorry.

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I answered in your other thread too... but to me it looks like a rock it was originally attached to then overgrown. Then the rock covered in Coralline algae.

Do you have a proddin stick you can use to touch it to see if its solid? Also, in person (which is easier to see than in a picture) does it look like it could be a rock?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say if its alive and open it's not something to be to concerned about. But sure what it is though. Let's wait a bit and see if someone else who may know will chime in :)

OP
OP
gad2ski

gad2ski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your inputs! One way or another I will keep you all updated on the progression of this thing.

ilyad, thank you for responding to both of my threads but how I have created 2 of the same beats me!

OP
OP
gad2ski

gad2ski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ilyad, since I have created to of the same threads, is there a way to remove one once and for all?

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your inputs! One way or another I will keep you all updated on the progression of this thing.

ilyad, thank you for responding to both of my threads but how I have created 2 of the same beats me!

It happens, the internet isn’t perfect. I would go back to the first one and edit the post by tagging a mod and asking them to delete it.

Otherwise, if you see any changes, let us know. And if you’re able to touch it (prob use gloves just in case) to see if it’s solid or soft, that may give others some more info to go on.

OP
OP
gad2ski

gad2ski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so I have touched it, probed it, and even pinched it (lightly) The growth is definitely not a rock (unless it is a soft rock). Whatever that is, it is kind of soft and it is also growing out of the coral. I’ve had this particular coral for over two weeks now and he is doing very good in my tank. Always open and “happy”. I am concerned though, for if this thing is life threatening to the coral, or if it is contagious or something to that effect, I will be in a load of trouble in 2 days. I have 10 new frags coming in on Thursday and would hate for any of them, including this one, to suffer from this growth thing.

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so I have touched it, probed it, and even pinched it (lightly) The growth is definitely not a rock (unless it is a soft rock). Whatever that is, it is kind of soft and it is also growing out of the coral. I’ve had this particular coral for over two weeks now and he is doing very good in my tank. Always open and “happy”. I am concerned though, for if this thing is life threatening to the coral, or if it is contagious or something to that effect, I will be in a load of trouble in 2 days. I have 10 new frags coming in on Thursday and would hate for any of them, including this one, to suffer from this growth thing.

If you’re concerned, I would get a new scalpel or razor blade and cut it out. If the coral is doing well in the tank now, it should recover and grow that part back in no time. Imagine as if you’re fragging it. This will be especially light on it if the growth is just on the very surface.

That being said, based on your description it can be a sponge that is growing on it. In that case, it’s not a big deal. But if it’s a sponge, it can be brushed off using a toothbrush. Since you aren’t sure what it is and it’ll be hard for someone to say here, pull the coral out into another container brush it off there. Then before putting the coral back into the tank, rinse it with more tank water over a sink (to rinse off any potential spores that may have released in the brushing process (and actually do the same if you cut it out). Then put the coral back in. Rinse the container well to not contaminate in the future.

I always go by the theory “if in doubt, take it out”. So cut it or brush it, depending which will work. Just be careful to keep it out of the tank as some things may redraws spores it stressed, causing the tank to get more of that.

As an additional comment, it’s always a good idea to inspect any new coral very closely and maybe even dip before going into the main display. Especially so later on when you have more coral and fish that can be compromised by introducing anything bad.

OP
OP
gad2ski

gad2ski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info!!! I will definitely do that. I have brand new scalpels just in case a tooth brush doesn’t work so... once it’s done I will post an update. As to dipping corals before placing in the tank, I have learned that after placing the ones that are in the tank already but my next 10 will get the treatment for sure. I have fallen in love with this hobby and will do what needs to be done just to make sure that all of my tanks inhabitants are happy and are doing well.

Once again, thank you all for your help and for taking the time to respond to my question.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back