Unknown SPS pest - inc. microscope video

Stefaan F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pest that is killing my acro's/monti's/ seriatopora and stylopora.
I even found it on goniopora and euphyllia, but in low numbers so probably they got there by accident but not really causing a lot of issues?

Video under microscope 100x
https://youtube.com/shorts/WNrUJoQ-dJs?feature=share
It has a pretty strong exosceleton, looks a bit like an ostracod to me.

On the corals it looks like tiny white dots, size of red bugs or even smaller.
They move, but they are slow. They are as visible during the day as they are at night.
If blown from the colony, they are capable of swimming back if there is low to no flow.

The symptoms of the corals are always thesame, first less polyp extension, then a bit of color loss, then some kind of web around the colony, probably just the colony itself sliming? And last stage a slow STN. This takes 1,5-2 months, so pretty slow deterioration.
It is a real pain to see, as it is spreading and dips seem to do more harm to the colony instead of helping.

IMG_20220519_094210.jpg
IMG_20220519_094135.jpg

Does anyone know what this is?
Looks a bit like the 'white bugs' in a few threads on the forum.
Any ideas how I would best treat this?
I am hesitant to use interceptor. Not easy to come by and I have a lot of clean up crew in the tank.
Read about tanks crashing and so on, so tips would be really helpful.
It is a fully stocked 1000 gallon, so taking out all corals or taking out all clean up crew is not an easy job.
But if it needs to be done...

As there probably will be other questions, tank started august 2021, was running great with a lot of growth (also on acros) since about november.
This is 22 march:
https://youtube.com/shorts/DGaUs0xqWJY
There are now still a lot of corals including acros that are doing great, growing rapidly, and seem unaffected.
But there are also a dozen that have already died, and a dozen more that are suffering.
I try to take out badly infected corals and dead parts. I do try to frag when STN'ing, but with a lot of frags I have 0% succes in stopping the STN.

Water parameters are since startup, never gotten far away as I measure frequently:
Salinity 1.025
KH: 8-8,5 checked by GHL KHD and manual measurements
Ca: 410-430
Mg:1360-1380
K: 400-410
NO3: 4-6, it did get to 14 in january, then optimized refugium and before and after january pretty stable.
PO4: 0,04-0,08, It did get to 0,12 in january
Temp: Was 77 °f, In april it got to 79°f or even 80°f a few days. Now I placed ventilators and cooling, so 75 at lowest and 76 highest since 3 weeks.

Other contaminants, I started high in Zn in august, like 170 ppb, slowly got it down over the months to around 40 ppb with water changes.
But it hasn't gone up the last months, so I don't think that is an issue. I do an ICP every month. They are good, not perfect but slowly getting there.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure others with more experience will chime but they look like sps red bugs to me. I read about these on other threads so I dipped the heck out of my first spa frags I got a few weeks ago. I also did some gentle scrubbing of the actual coral and frag plugs before they went in my tank. I think I saw them referenced on Acropora but I don't think they care what sps type it is.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can't name them off the top of my head, but there are 3 known species of pods (bugs) that predate on acropora (and possibly other sps). Best course of action is three consecutive doses of interceptor. If you have any shrimp, crabs or other friendly crustaceans, they should be removed during treatment.
I've personally dealt with red bugs and "white" bugs in two different tanks. Interceptor was the only thing that helped. I think some people have had success with Dr. G's or something like that, forget the name?

OP
OP
S

Stefaan F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I can't help, but NICE TANK!

Hope someone can help you.

I didn't see ant pest hunting wrasse. Wonder if one would help in this instance?
There are Halichoeres iridis, melanurus, chrysus, six line wrasse, cleaner wrasse, naoko fairy wrasse, macropharyngodon bipartitus, and I added this week 5 young macropharyngodon meleagris and an anampses meleagrides

I read pipefish like Corythoichthys haematopterus might eat sps bugs as their natural diet. Might be an idea to buy some of these?

I also read about interceptor. Does it sometimes kill snails too? Ofcourse my pod population will suffer, and my pair of mandarins will have less food. And I read it might kill all the bristle worms as well.

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to see that mate , it looks like red/white bugs.
That is the main reason that I'm setting up quarantine tank , for all of the corals that will go into the tank.
I know that interceptor is the only thing that actually kill this little devil's.

wareagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dealt with red bugs and white bugs, the red bugs were gone with the regular recommended interceptor dosage, but the white bugs required a massive 5x dosage. That's one feeding on a polyp in the center, they have a spiked end and look like a little thorn. Second pick he's moved down from the polyp. This coral recovered fine, but I have two others that are still getting their color and PE back and one more that I tried some experimental dips on while I was trying to source the meds. The KCI dip I used did nothing to them, even at 4x strength. Bioadvanced did appear to kill them at 10cc to 4oz, but I treated the entire tank with interceptor so I can't guarantee that I just didn't see one. The in tank treatment had zero impact on my snails at the regular dosage, but they looked paralyzed at the 5x dosage. I think that was because of a bacterial bloom though. They all recovered after I did a water change at 24hrs.
IMG_20220510_215906.jpg

IMG_20220510_215938.jpg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 101 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.3%
Back