Unkown crab in tank

rowenaad

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 21, 2021
Messages
356
Reaction score
196
Location
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I found a snail size crab shell or dead crad in my tank. Its white and semi transparent so i think its the shell? I have no idea where it came from and if its an empty shell, should I be worried?

A bit more details I have started my tank in march with new dry sand, and new marco rock. I brought along my 3 fishes, a pistol shrimp, a maxima clam(nothing), BTAs, GSP(nothing attached), toadstool(nothing attached), a black cuke, and a few snails from my old tank and a new crosea clam that has a tiny piece of rock attachment and was quarantined for 1 month before putting in the display. My old had no crab and I dont know how this crab got in...but it has to be the crosea somehow i assume?

As of now i see no damage caused, but should i be worried? soz I didnt take a photo but its pretty short leg, puff and round body and i dont see claws.
 
A picture would help. Could be a crab molt so it’s still wandering around your tank. There are reef safe and unsafe crabs, so hard to tell without pictures to identify.
 
A picture would help. Could be a crab molt so it’s still wandering around your tank. There are reef safe and unsafe crabs, so hard to tell without pictures to identify.
Had more searching and pea crab seem to be a reasonable guess. I think thats parasite? but I also see from another post that the crab didnt do harm. Should i try to get it out if its a pea crab?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new