Unkown crab in tank

rowenaad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I found a snail size crab shell or dead crad in my tank. Its white and semi transparent so i think its the shell? I have no idea where it came from and if its an empty shell, should I be worried?

A bit more details I have started my tank in march with new dry sand, and new marco rock. I brought along my 3 fishes, a pistol shrimp, a maxima clam(nothing), BTAs, GSP(nothing attached), toadstool(nothing attached), a black cuke, and a few snails from my old tank and a new crosea clam that has a tiny piece of rock attachment and was quarantined for 1 month before putting in the display. My old had no crab and I dont know how this crab got in...but it has to be the crosea somehow i assume?

As of now i see no damage caused, but should i be worried? soz I didnt take a photo but its pretty short leg, puff and round body and i dont see claws.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A picture would help. Could be a crab molt so it’s still wandering around your tank. There are reef safe and unsafe crabs, so hard to tell without pictures to identify.

OP
OP
R

rowenaad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A picture would help. Could be a crab molt so it’s still wandering around your tank. There are reef safe and unsafe crabs, so hard to tell without pictures to identify.
Had more searching and pea crab seem to be a reasonable guess. I think thats parasite? but I also see from another post that the crab didnt do harm. Should i try to get it out if its a pea crab?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back