UNS R120 - New Build

  • Thread starter Thread starter jn72390
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
20260712_205253_A95119ED-938B-4A9A-AB6C-D083D15AF01D.png
Looking good!
 
Got the itch and I just can’t stop, need to pump the brakes a bit but really loving the way things are turning out so far.

Added some Gonis that seem happy, few torches, clam and some others. Fish seem ok, not too sure about this Purple Tang showing some white spots but not like an outbreak and it’s been going on for about two weeks. Still eating like a pig and seems happy but man fish are so much harder than coral…




20260624_145023_17AA418D-14B6-4B99-AB6F-24FCD4F7D531.png
Looking great!
 
Yes just kind of slip on … Everybody complains its loud and as a temporary solution they suggest to put a sponge inside… I’m a bit far away from installing it, but will probably do a different 3D printed part to reduce splashing..
Hello! Did you end up printing a part for it? The noise is too much for me :/
 
Mine was dead silent, but i’m now on socks temporary plus new Abyzz pump not yet arrived, so maybe with more flow it will not be dead silent…

So will be difficult for me to check if my version will improve, however I think if you find a flat sheet of plastic and put it at 30-45 degree angle inside the adaptor leaving space at each side of 1-2cm it might become dead silent? At least this was my first plan… second to have more complicated ‘slider’ with two levels…
 
It’s been a few weeks, here’s some post water change nudes!
20260807_130807_5DA6672D-0CE1-42BD-A398-4BA7C17DDC30.png


20260807_130807_AF4046B6-086C-42E2-8F23-936C0FB93A55.png


20260807_130807_765C427E-9084-4985-BFE9-A8D1D97C9B11.png


20260807_130807_03497298-DFA3-4B19-952A-5EE1B22DBD27.png
 
@UNS_Brandon @UNS_Parker

Sup gents - any recommendations for replacement return nozzles? I’m looking to switch to flat nozzles to focus on surface agitation since I have pretty solid flow from the DMP’s.
 
@UNS_Brandon @UNS_Parker

Sup gents - any recommendations for replacement return nozzles? I’m looking to switch to flat nozzles to focus on surface agitation since I have pretty solid flow from the DMP’s.
We have VCA nozzle adapters that can be found here: https://buceplant.com/products/vca-flow-kit-for-uns-reef-system

I haven't used any flat nozzles personally, but any that work with 25MM locline should work.
Thanks, I’ll give these a go!
 
Broke some of my rocks building these arches but I’m happy with the new scape, added some more pieces, she’s filling in now with different textures and colors
 
Hello! Did you end up printing a part for it? The noise is too much for me :/
It was incredibly noisy for me as well. Here’s what I’ve learned:
-The sump’s waterline is too low for this setup. The gap between the water line and ReefMat (and even greater with the adapter) is where the splashing and noise happens.
-The adapter can’t handle the volume of water it gets from the overflow. So water gushes out the back and splashes down. This is where the majority of the noise is.
-Foam does not address the problems above.

My fix:
After countless hours tweaking, the only way I was able to “fix” it was to lower my return pump to 30%. For reference, I have a 10,000-liter/hour pump (Jecod/Jebao GDP-10,000). By lowering it to 30%, the sump’s water level raises which eliminates the gap with the ReefMat. It also reduces the volume of water going into the adapter and eliminates the overflow/splashing. Keep in mind that as the fleece roll gets dirtier, it can take on less water from the adapter which causes the adapter to backup andverflow again. However, it isn’t nearly as loud as before and goes away as the fleece advances.

Obviously, you’ll need an adjustable DC return pump to dial it in.
 
Broke some of my rocks building these arches but I’m happy with the new scape, added some more pieces, she’s filling in now with different textures and colors
Beautiful work
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new