Unwanted bumblebee snail in new tank!!!

Common Blevil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidentally bought a piece of live rock that had a bumblebee snail in it. My tank is only starting. Will it eat all the worms i have(i just have maybe a ten max, and i want them to multiply) and future snail additions, like dwarf snails or limpets, if i will feed it? I know it accepts frozen food, but will it accept flakes? Will i be able to keep it for about a week until i can give it to local hobbyist, or is it better to return it to the LFS?

IMG_20240226_160710.jpg

OP
OP
Common Blevil

Common Blevil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep it as well. They are scavengers, will eat uneaten food missed by fish, they also eat pest vermatid worms which is a bonus. I've never had problems with them bothering anything. People pay $4-$5 each for those, you got one for free, congrats.
I'll think about it. But I'm worried that it will eat small worms and snails that i want to keep.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll think about it. But I'm worried that it will eat small worms and snails that i want to keep.
No way 1 bumblebee is going to decimate a worm population in a reasonably sized tank. How big is your tank?

OP
OP
Common Blevil

Common Blevil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a nano 14 g, so I'm a little bit scared. But the thing now supposedly started to eat a piece of flake, so i maybe will keep it.
Photo of a snail and "crawled distance", video of supposed feeding and stupid idiot worm in the background. The snail is sitting on the flake for a few minutes now, i think it's good. Thanks for all responses)

Attachments

• IMG_20240226_171508.jpg
    IMG_20240226_171508.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 29
  • lv_0_20240226172625.mp4
    2.6 MB

Manpeckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah as much as I want bumblebee snails to work hard they are incredibly slow :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
I doubt this gives you any issues with any worm population.

OP
OP
Common Blevil

Common Blevil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah as much as I want bumblebee snails to work hard they are incredibly slow :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
I doubt this gives you any issues with any worm population.
I see... The thing ate a flake, thought about life for the rest of the day, and at night it went half way around the rock and fell asleep... I don't think anything faster then vermetid snail will be in trouble

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a bunch of these on all my tanks. They don’t do anything harmful. My 75g had a outbreak of vermatid snails And the bunmblebees did eat them, but those are pest snails. They do eat leftover food and decaying matter. Absolutely a good critter to have in a tank even a nano

Last edited:

chiroboy126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a bunch of these on all my tanks. They don’t do anything harmful. My 75g had an outbreak of vermatid snails And the bunmblebees did eat them, but those are pest snails. They do eat leftover food and decaying matter. Absolutely a good critter to have in a tank even a nano
Did you have any other snails in the tank at the same time as the bumble bees? I’ve heard they will eat my other ones

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you have any other snails in the tank at the same time as the bumble bees? I’ve heard they will eat my other ones
I have Bumblebees in all 5 of my tanks and plenty of other types of snails. They are model citizens and don’t bother anything except vermetids (and not even those always). They’re great to have and you’ll love having them. Definitely keepers!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back