Updated aquarium equipment. Need help

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to the hobby, attempting a new tank, and put together a non-conventional system; 55 gallon tank (bought used), Fluval FX4 1,000 gph canister filter, HOB Instant Ocean protein skimmer made for a 125 gallon tank, HOB refugium, and a pair of power heads.
I started with a TopFin Pro 120 canister that I would NOT recommend. Without the WiFi management app, it only operates at 50% capacity, and the app only worked on an Android phone; even then, reviews say it’s with problems. But, when using it, the skimmer worked GREAT.
Problem: when I put the new canister filter on and started it, my HOB protein skimmer immediately stopped its smooth cyclone in the cylinder, turned into a thick cloud, and started spilling micro bubbles into the tank and clouded it. No matter what I do, short of turning the air feed in the skimmer to a useless trickle, it breaks the cyclone and causes the bubble spillage.
I hung a small media sock over the skimmer’s return to defuse some of the bubbles; it helps, but it’s still clouding the tank.
Can anyone suggest why this happened? Did the new canister clean the water too well for bubbles to grab the detritus? If I only run the skimmer on a timed schedule, will I need a bubbler to keep the water oxygenated and cloud the tank anyway?
I’ve broken down, cleaned, and reassembled the skimmer to no effect.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt the canister is cleaning it too much...that would take some time for the skimmer to respond and not happen soon as you turn it on. I'd look at small changes in water level caused by canister or outlet of canister to close to skimmer intake first.

Having your skimmer on a timer (or no skimmer for that matter) shouldn't excessively impact your oxygen assuming you have good surface turbulence from your powerheads and aren't over stocking. You won't need a bubbler if you have some rolling surface water. Surface turbulence is big impact on tank O2. Plus your HOB refugium (even if no algae yet) will also add oxygen.

Also, not that unusual a set up really. Lots of people don't have sumps and you're using skimmer and refugium alongside a canister (which I assume is for polishing and media). Good plan. If you're using canister as a supplement, I would doubt you have to clean as much as you would if it was only filtration. You'll have to monitor and see.

Let us know how this works out for you. Good luck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ClownSchool

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt the canister is cleaning it too much...that would take some time for the skimmer to respond and not happen soon as you turn it on. I'd look at small changes in water level caused by canister or outlet of canister to close to skimmer intake first.

Having your skimmer on a timer (or no skimmer for that matter) shouldn't excessively impact your oxygen assuming you have good surface turbulence from your powerheads and aren't over stocking. You won't need a bubbler if you have some rolling surface water. Surface turbulence is big impact on tank O2. Plus your HOB refugium (even if no algae yet) will also add oxygen.

Also, not that unusual a set up really. Lots of people don't have sumps and you're using skimmer and refugium alongside a canister (which I assume is for polishing and media). Good plan. If you're using canister as a supplement, I would doubt you have to clean as much as you would if it was only filtration. You'll have to monitor and see.

Let us know how this works out for you. Good luck.
It may have something to do with adding Chemi-pure Blue media sock to the new canister. The chemicals may have effected how the water reacts in the skimmer. I’ll watch it over time and update accordingly. Thank you for the advice.

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back