Upflow Algae Scrubber UAS

  • Thread starter Thread starter rjl45
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Any new updates on your system?
200+ days update:
Scrubber is going strong and has been the single best modifation I have done to my 24gal nano. Nitrates and phospahtes running near zero all the time, have zero algae in the DT, only clean the glass one time a week. I do weekly maintenance cleaning the scrubber and scrape the glass a little, and my biweekly WC and that's it.

Since the phospahtes dropped near zero, the corals consumption of calcium and alkalinity has risen dramatically! Prior to the scrubber, biweekly water changes provided sufficient supplements for the corals. Now I have to dose 20ppm calc and 1dkh Alk daily. Corals are growing and super happy.

BTW... it's cost me virtually nothing to run for 8 months. I thinks that's a lot cheaper than GFO or other nutrient export methods where the media has to be replaced [emoji2]

Happy scrubbing everyone!
 
200+ days update:
Scrubber is going strong and has been the single best modifation I have done to my 24gal nano. Nitrates and phospahtes running near zero all the time, have zero algae in the DT, only clean the glass one time a week. I do weekly maintenance cleaning the scrubber and scrape the glass a little, and my biweekly WC and that's it.

Since the phospahtes dropped near zero, the corals consumption of calcium and alkalinity has risen dramatically! Prior to the scrubber, biweekly water changes provided sufficient supplements for the corals. Now I have to dose 20ppm calc and 1dkh Alk daily. Corals are growing and super happy.

BTW... it's cost me virtually nothing to run for 8 months. I thinks that's a lot cheaper than GFO or other nutrient export methods where the media has to be replaced [emoji2]

Happy scrubbing everyone!
Good stuff :) Post an updated growth pic!
 
@rjl45 Would you mind sharing pics of what the scrubber looks like now after a week's growth? I've been wanting to do this for some time and haven't yet, but reading your thread has given the desire again.
 
This was really helpful, thanks for documenting! Found this looking for results on turf scrubbers a few years after you've done it ;)
 
Interesting thread!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new