Upgrade advice needed

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Biocube 32g setup and am considering going larger. I'm not having a lot of luck looking at setups though. Here are my wants:

50 - 75g capacity (if I'm doing custom, I'd do dimensions of 36"L x 24"W x 18"T)
Prefer an AIO
Prefer acrylic
Require canopy (not optional)

I've looked at a couple mass produced acrylic AIOs. but the acrylic is only 1/4" on those and I don't feel that's thick enough, even though this wouldn't be a huge tank. I could do glass, but I really do prefer acrylic, and have never had a canopy on a glass tank (something about the weight of wood sitting on a glass tank makes me very nervous, even if that's not a reasonable uneasiness LOL).

I gotten a quote from Glass Cages on an acrylic setup, but I haven't seen many good things about their acrylic work (to be fair, I've found very little, but the seams on their pictures don't look the best).

I'm awaiting custom quotes from TruVu (I want thicker acrylic than their standard tanks) and American Aquariums (I've seen good reviews here but not sure if they're taking 'smaller' orders).

I like the IM Nuvo fusion AIO tanks too, but not sure I could actually put a canopy on a rimless tank. I've found a few glass tanks that are similar that would/could work, but all are rimless and I need a canopy. My tank sits at the end of my couch, in between me and the TV so having a light that isn't contained in a canopy simply won't work.

I haven't talked to my LFS yet, but last time I asked about acrylic tanks, they didn't have a supplier. They were working with one to get setup though, so I can ask if that's in place now.

I am open to ideas, but do have limited space. I'd like to stick to 36" long.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having previously owned three Innovative Marine AIO Fusions (including acrylic), my advice is to dispense with the acrylic and stick with glass. Far more durable and you have way more cleaning options (plus the viewing is far superior).

I’d also recommend a sump setup and dispense with the AIO, for much the same reasons: you’re limited to proprietary components (pumps, skimmers, reactors, etc.) IM has a crap product line in this respect along with some really stupid design quirks in their AIO sump.

Honestly, I’d look at something like a Red Sea 170, 200 or 250. The cabinets are fairly bullet proof. Don’t let the “wood” aspect deter you.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having previously owned three Innovative Marine AIO Fusions (including acrylic), my advice is to dispense with the acrylic and stick with glass. Far more durable and you have way more cleaning options (plus the viewing is far superior).

I’d also recommend a sump setup and dispense with the AIO, for much the same reasons: you’re limited to proprietary components (pumps, skimmers, reactors, etc.) IM has a crap product line in this respect along with some really stupid design quirks in their AIO sump.

Honestly, I’d look at something like a Red Sea 170, 200 or 250. The cabinets are fairly bullet proof. Don’t let the “wood” aspect deter you.
I disagree on acrylic - I've owned two in the past and much prefer them. I've also had sump setups in the past, and while they're obviously better for usability than an AIO, I do like my current AIO. I am not using anything made for a biocube, mind you, and haven't needed a skimmer since I put a fuge in the back.

For something like a Red Sea though, can you actually put a wooden canopy on the rimless tank? I haven't seen anything saying whether that's safe, either way. The stand being wood is fine - not worried about that, but have to have a canopy on the tank.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess I am just different. I HATE! Acrylic. It is the number 1 scratch magnet in the world. If you must go Acrylic I cam not say enough good things about truvu.

They are manufactured 15 minutes from my house and I have seen their facility. It is a small business but it has a personal touch and many many tanks in my area are made by truvu since they are local. I have never seen one bow or fail and the work has always been good. Even the 22 foot long tanks in local restaurants have held up well after over a decade of use. Scott can make whatever you want and I would trust him.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree on acrylic - I've owned two in the past and much prefer them. I've also had sump setups in the past, and while they're obviously better for usability than an AIO, I do like my current AIO. I am not using anything made for a biocube, mind you, and haven't needed a skimmer since I put a fuge in the back.

For something like a Red Sea though, can you actually put a wooden canopy on the rimless tank? I haven't seen anything saying whether that's safe, either way. The stand being wood is fine - not worried about that, but have to have a canopy on the tank.
To each their own, but once you go up in size you may find that acrylic doesn’t offer the same advantages anymore.

Not sure I understand the wooden canopy requirement, though?

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To each their own, but once you go up in size you may find that acrylic doesn’t offer the same advantages anymore.

Not sure I understand the wooden canopy requirement, though?
My other acrylic tanks were 60 and 120g custom builds. They were 15+ years ago and I seem to have lost all the photos.

For the canopy, I need the light contained due to where the tank sits. It cannot be an open top anyway due to cats in the house, but mainly, for light containment. I actually prefer the look of a canopy too. But with all the rimless tanks, is it actually safe to do? No one has been able to answer that question for me.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess I am just different. I HATE! Acrylic. It is the number 1 scratch magnet in the world. If you must go Acrylic I cam not say enough good things about truvu.

They are manufactured 15 minutes from my house and I have seen their facility. It is a small business but it has a personal touch and many many tanks in my area are made by truvu since they are local. I have never seen one bow or fail and the work has always been good. Even the 22 foot long tanks in local restaurants have held up well after over a decade of use. Scott can make whatever you want and I would trust him.
I personally didn't have many issues with scratches. Yes, you had to be careful, and yes, it took more elbow grease to get coraline off, but the scratches were minimal and not visible when the tank was full (except for one where I bashed a rock into it LOL)

Thanks for the input on TruVu. I've read online reviews saying they bow really badly but have never seen one in person. I would prefer they were 1/2" thick though and in the size I'm looking at, they're only 3/8". Maybe that's fine - I'm not really sure. I asked them to quote a thicker acrylic but not sure how long it will take for them to get back to me.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect that if it’s not an insane amount of weight that it wouldn’t be an issue (tanks do regularly support lights and lids). You could also probably build one out of polymer sheets or styrene as well.

Parker’s Reef on YouTube has a really awesome suspended/motorized canopy that’s worth checking out just for the “eye candy” aspect.

Honestly, once you move away from AIO you have so many more options.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect that if it’s not an insane amount of weight that it wouldn’t be an issue (tanks do regularly support lights and lids). You could also probably build one out of polymer sheets or styrene as well.

Parker’s Reef on YouTube has a really awesome suspended/motorized canopy that’s worth checking out just for the “eye candy” aspect.

Honestly, once you move away from AIO you have so many more options.
I have seen an acrylic 'wrap' somewhere here on R2R that was put on one. It was a DIY job and I'm not sure that I could DIY it, but someone probably could...appreciate the discussion, thanks. I'm not dead set on an AIO for sure - I've had a sump before and liked it, but also like the AIO. The bigger issue with the glass is supporting a canopy.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a canopy is a requirement, a sump might be a better option as most of your AIO stuff is going to be less accessible at the rear of the tank (unless you’re opting for something on the side with a peninsula style).

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Biocube 32g setup and am considering going larger. I'm not having a lot of luck looking at setups though. Here are my wants:

50 - 75g capacity (if I'm doing custom, I'd do dimensions of 36"L x 24"W x 18"T)
Prefer an AIO
Prefer acrylic
Require canopy (not optional)

I've looked at a couple mass produced acrylic AIOs. but the acrylic is only 1/4" on those and I don't feel that's thick enough, even though this wouldn't be a huge tank. I could do glass, but I really do prefer acrylic, and have never had a canopy on a glass tank (something about the weight of wood sitting on a glass tank makes me very nervous, even if that's not a reasonable uneasiness LOL).

I gotten a quote from Glass Cages on an acrylic setup, but I haven't seen many good things about their acrylic work (to be fair, I've found very little, but the seams on their pictures don't look the best).

I'm awaiting custom quotes from TruVu (I want thicker acrylic than their standard tanks) and American Aquariums (I've seen good reviews here but not sure if they're taking 'smaller' orders).

I like the IM Nuvo fusion AIO tanks too, but not sure I could actually put a canopy on a rimless tank. I've found a few glass tanks that are similar that would/could work, but all are rimless and I need a canopy. My tank sits at the end of my couch, in between me and the TV so having a light that isn't contained in a canopy simply won't work.

I haven't talked to my LFS yet, but last time I asked about acrylic tanks, they didn't have a supplier. They were working with one to get setup though, so I can ask if that's in place now.

I am open to ideas, but do have limited space. I'd like to stick to 36" long.
36” long….here’s the rub. 36” is an issue for some fish (like most tangs). It isn’t just about gallons, length matters.

36” means 2 LED fixtures. You can use Kessil A360’s or T5’s off the top of my head without a hood. Kessil makes an articulating attachment so you can angle the lights back a bit so they don’t blind you. T5’s sit inside the fixture a good fixture shouldn’t cause you too many problems.

I have a 10, 20, and 120 gallon IM NUVO AIO. I have had the 40 as well. I would recommend the 40 to you. It is easy to work in, easy to rockscape, and a single high end light will give you more than enough PAR for whatever you want. Sure a 75g has more water but with your footprint, if you want an AIO, this is a good option.

If it doesn’t have to be an AIO, I would go with a 90g cube with sump. Doesn’t open up a ton of new fish options but they’re beautiful. I would do an LPS tank and use a single fixture.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a canopy is a requirement, a sump might be a better option as most of your AIO stuff is going to be less accessible at the rear of the tank (unless you’re opting for something on the side with a peninsula style).
Fair point there. Didn’t think that through on accessing the filtration area with a canopy. I’d have to take it all the way off and that would be a pain.

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Options , we see thick open top acrylic tanks looks awsome , 65 gallon , you can Build it yourself using 1inch (open top) , and the pro's will use thick panels if you custom order it , your looking at over a grand right , acrylic welds up fairly easy.. our precious tangs need 100 gallon or more lol

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair point there. Didn’t think that through on accessing the filtration area with a canopy. I’d have to take it all the way off and that would be a pain.
Probably outside the scope of your budget (and mine), but this is a really slick setup.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if a complete customer setup is beyond the OP's budget I would still encourage the OP to get a tall canopy with front opening doors like in the video. You should never need to remove the canopy. My favorite canopies are 12- 18in tall with front opening doors. Plenty of room to work and hides all the mess.

Scott makes his furniture in house so I am sure he could make a custom canopy for the OP.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if a complete customer setup is beyond the OP's budget I would still encourage the OP to get a tall canopy with front opening doors like in the video. You should never need to remove the canopy. My favorite canopies are 12- 18in tall with front opening doors. Plenty of room to work and hides all the mess.

Scott makes his furniture in house so I am sure he could make a custom canopy for the OP.
I was planning on a 12” canopy. Didn’t think about doors on it - previous canopies were piano hinges.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys have really given me stuff to think about! I’m kind of leaning towards a sump now but still debating acrylic vs glass.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly encourage the front opening doors. this will let you keep everything in place and not have to worry about reaching over a wood canopy wall.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly encourage the front opening doors. this will let you keep everything in place and not have to worry about reaching over a wood canopy wall.
Excellent points. Very handy for feeding and whenever you have to put place any bags in the tank for acclimating anything or moving stuff around.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys have really given me stuff to think about! I’m kind of leaning towards a sump now but still debating acrylic vs glass.
I went with Red Sea as in Canada we have very limited options, but in the US you’ll have a lot more custom and other manufacturers available. Just for reference, look at the Red Sea Reefer 250 and 300XL - as those fit your requirements. It’s a good starting point in terms of the kind of things you’ll want.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back