Upgrades worth it?

MinnReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Fluval Evo 13.5 that I was thinking of maybe getting the chamber 1 & 2 baskets. But I really don't run a lot of chemical or mechanical filtration because my tanks have lots of macroalgae and a fair amount of filter feeders so I try and keep the particles floating in the water column. My plan was to fill the back chambers with Marinepure Gems, so filter media bags might work just fine?

Also, will a 50W heater be enough for my 13.5, I keep getting conflicting answers on that one. I have an inkbird already so that will mainly control the temps.

Lastly, for the outlet nozzles should I get 2 of the 1/4" RFG heads to replace the nozzles or should I just get a single 1/2" RFG to attach to the locline coming out of the pump tubing?

OP
OP
MinnReef

MinnReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put some egg crates and turn it into an pod hotel?
From what I've read pod hotels are just gimmicks, I might just end up getting filter bags and putting the marine pure gems in the bags

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I look at upgrading filtration, it’s because I want to lower nutrients, otherwise, if things are in balance, I make no changes.
I use marine pure as well, have a ton of surface area.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
VCA answered a question on their website about RFGs for the Evo and they recommended the single 1/2" RFG. That is what I went for and I'm happy with it. I have also seen pictures of someone running 2 1/4" RFGs. I am running a Sicce 0.5 pump. Make sure you get some genuine loc-line to connect the RFGs as they need to sit a little below the water to prevent them sucking in air, and they don't always fit aftermarket loc-line very well.

I have a 50W heater in mine and it is fine, but it would depend on how low the room temp gets (mine stays around 70F).

I also have the Intank chamber 1 basket and I like it but it is expensive. I'm only running filter floss and some Seachem Matrix (which is largely there just so I can take it out and seed my QT if required) but it is good to know that when I need to add other things it will be really easy. Be careful of just dropping things like gems into the bottom section of the Intank chamber 1 basket as they can get stuck under the skimmer guide and make it difficult to get the basket out. They will be fine in the middle section of the chamber 1 basket.

I don't run the chamber 2 basket and have my heater in there.

Bear in mind that if you fill both the chamber 1 and 2 media baskets then they restrict the flow through the chambers. If you have a powerful pump then that can cause the water levels in the back to drop - that is one reason why I went for the Sicce 0.5 over the 1.0. If I need more movement in the future then I will add a powerhead.

OP
OP
MinnReef

MinnReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VCA answered a question on their website about RFGs for the Evo and they recommended the single 1/2" RFG. That is what I went for and I'm happy with it. I have also seen pictures of someone running 2 1/4" RFGs. I am running a Sicce 0.5 pump. Make sure you get some genuine loc-line to connect the RFGs as they need to sit a little below the water to prevent them sucking in air, and they don't always fit aftermarket loc-line very well.

I have a 50W heater in mine and it is fine, but it would depend on how low the room temp gets (mine stays around 70F).

I also have the Intank chamber 1 basket and I like it but it is expensive. I'm only running filter floss and some Seachem Matrix (which is largely there just so I can take it out and seed my QT if required) but it is good to know that when I need to add other things it will be really easy. Be careful of just dropping things like gems into the bottom section of the Intank chamber 1 basket as they can get stuck under the skimmer guide and make it difficult to get the basket out. They will be fine in the middle section of the chamber 1 basket.

I don't run the chamber 2 basket and have my heater in there.

Bear in mind that if you fill both the chamber 1 and 2 media baskets then they restrict the flow through the chambers. If you have a powerful pump then that can cause the water levels in the back to drop - that is one reason why I went for the Sicce 0.5 over the 1.0. If I need more movement in the future then I will add a powerhead.
I went the exact approach that you did pretty much. So I should get some loc-line from BRS if I get the RFG. I also have my heater in chamber 2 and I did add an IM Wavelink to have some extra flow

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back