Upgrading RO to RO/DI

demonbarber09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an a RO system that I was gonna use for drinking water but now I want to upgrade to RO/DI so I could have drinking water and water for a mixing but I’m not sure how to go about it. This is the system I have. Let me know any suggestions on what to do

061283B4-47F7-4969-A622-FB4556246718.png D25BEEF5-EB1E-4739-9CE3-F9A137722B96.png 317CE308-F3D3-4225-A057-8B4CF84DDB20.png

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to add a DI canister after the RO and before the last 2 cartridges.
If you add it to the end, the re-mineralization units will cause you to burn thru resin. Plus You dont want to drink RO/DI water for a long period of time.
Also you will need to add a 3 way valve to shut off the water going to the DI canister when not making tank water.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
demonbarber09

demonbarber09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to add a DI canister after the RO and before the last 2 cartridges.
If you add it to the end, the re-mineralization units will cause you to burn thru resin. Plus You dont want to drink RO/DI water for a long period of time.
Also you will need to add a 3 way valve to shut off the water going to the DI canister when not making tank water.
I was gonna split so I only get RO water and not Di to drink. As far as connecting the DI reason I had that question is because of the re mineralization units. So is this still a 6 stage RO

Upvote 0
OP
OP
demonbarber09

demonbarber09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just buy online cartridges so you can add your own DI. There cheap and easy to add inline to your output water
That’s what I’m planning on doing but wanted to see if any one could based on the system I have on making sure everything is plugged correctly

Upvote 0

trainbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to do the same thing. On my system the demineralization filter can be easily removed and then will place a 3/8” hose on the faucet. But my system is different from your system so I don’t know if you can do that. My system is a tankless Ro filter

Upvote 0
OP
OP
demonbarber09

demonbarber09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to do the same thing. On my system the demineralization filter can be easily removed and then will place a 3/8” hose on the faucet. But my system is different from your system so I don’t know if you can do that. My system is a tankless Ro filter
I’m trying to avoid buying a whole new on just for mixing water. I want to kill two birds with one stone.

Upvote 0

trainbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was not suggesting you buy a new system just suggesting if you can bypass the last two filters then when you want to make water for your tank just put a hose on your faucet. Maybe you can not bypass your last two filters I don’t know

Upvote 0

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your system is fine, its a typical ro system, and they all can be modified or added to or subtracting things you dont need. Your just adding a cartridge or two to clean water a little more then what you have now. Goal is 0 TDS

Upvote 0
OP
OP
demonbarber09

demonbarber09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your system is fine, its a typical ro system, and they all can be modified or added to or subtracting things you dont need. Your just adding a cartridge or two to clean water a little more then what you have now. Goal is 0 TDS
So I my question is should I should I split the line so the DI doesn’t get any water from the last two systems.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
demonbarber09

demonbarber09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was not suggesting you buy a new system just suggesting if you can bypass the last two filters then when you want to make water for your tank just put a hose on your faucet. Maybe you can not bypass your last two filters I don’t know
I think I could bypass it I still haven’t set it up yet for this reason

Upvote 0

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I my question is should I should I split the line so the DI doesn’t get any water from the last two systems.
Let me phrase it so you can get the most out of what you have. For drinking water no heck no. Only use DI for mixing salt. So I would run like most here, using these long term meaning over decades. 1 pre filter, -- 2 carbon cartridges --- RO membrane--- DI cartidges ---- mixing container No need for anything else. Need a dual use system you can add 1/4 " T valves and more tubing to change water direction when needed

Upvote 0
OP
OP
demonbarber09

demonbarber09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me phrase it so you can get the most out of what you have. For drinking water no heck no. Only use DI for mixing salt. So I would run like most here, using these long term meaning over decades. 1 pre filter, -- 2 carbon cartridges --- RO membrane--- DI cartidges ---- mixing container No need for anything else. Need a dual use system you can add 1/4 " T valves and more tubing to change water direction when needed
That’s what I meant I wanted dual use because I know you shouldn’t drink DI water

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back