Upgrading tank. Info needed.

  • Thread starter Thread starter BW208
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

BW208

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 25, 2014
Messages
207
Reaction score
12
Location
Oroville, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so Ive been told more than one thing on this. Here is the deal. I have a 20L tank that is doing great and has been up since feb. Has a 20G sump so id say the system is around 30G. I purchased a 75G tank with a 30G sump. I have dry rock and some dry sand. It is black sand though and I really like it compared to my white sand in the 20. I was thinking about mixing them but idk if I want to do that or not. Anyway my question is how should I go about switching everything over? Should I set the 75 up and cycle it before I put my stuff from the 20 in it? People have told me as long as I put all my water in it and rock and sand it shouldnt have a cycle and everything should be fine. I really dont want to loose any livestock. Ideas???
 
You can do it either way. I would set up the 75 and let it cycle before adding livestock. I have switched everything all at once. Lost some livestock and it really stressful trying to do it all at once.
 
I think I might just do it all at once and hope for the best. I cant really have both tanks running.
 
im gonna be doing this soon from 100g system to about 160 g system... and really been thinking how im going to do it, one think i've been thinking about doing and you might want to consider is a day before you do the change, do a water change of whateever % of the tank and use that water along with the sytem. in my 100 g system im going to try to get 20 gallons out a day before i do the change so that i have 120gallons now of my own water to use in the new set up.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 23.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new