Upgrading tank size question

Sexytang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be upgrading from my 36g bowfront to a 72 bow or 75 normal tank really soon the thing is I only have room for one tank can I possibly transfer everything from my 36 over the same day as setup and be fine if I use my old tank water

ReeferSteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be upgrading from my 36g bowfront to a 72 bow or 75 normal tank really soon the thing is I only have room for one tank can I possibly transfer everything from my 36 over the same day as setup and be fine if I use my old tank water
Are you planning on using the same rock and sand?

OP
OP
Sexytang

Sexytang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a year and 2 months old. Will be using rock there’s just a little bit of sand in my tank I’m wanting to add new sand to new tank due to my old sand is super fine and any movement makes it go crazy.
my 36g is only running off a small hob filter no skimmer will add the hob on new tank for more bacteria.
here’s my plant hope it can work
Getting new tank placing it where I want it adding new sand and saltwater halfway and letting the water settle from new sand then moving everything over. To start off
Going to start off without skimmer or sump but going to buy one as soon as possible and going to make a sump. If I can find a sump when I get my tank will get a hob skimmer

OP
OP
Sexytang

Sexytang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And wanting to add some new rock later as I can

OP
OP
Sexytang

Sexytang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my tank now
E9A078E6-8026-4962-A058-3090A0588381.jpeg

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use the same rock I think you'll be ok, the rock is where your biofilter is. It's not much different than moving your tank from point A to point B. Use as much water from your old tank as possible, but have additional salt water made up and at the right temp. You'll need it.

New sand is a good idea. So is using the old HOB filter for a while.

You can add more rock in later a little at a time, research your method depending whether you buy live or dry.

Good luck! Your current setup is beautiful.

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be upgrading from my 36g bowfront to a 72 bow or 75 normal tank
As a kid I had a tank with a bow, hated it, lots of distortion (although it inspired me to learn about how distortion happens lol), anyway get the flat.

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem with moving everything over to a bigger tank. Just don't increase your bioload right away, so no adding fish for a little bit untill everything settles in.

Good bacteria lives on your rock. Transfer over all of your existing rock with your coral/fish and you'll be fine. Monitor for cycling in case of die off during the transfer, but unless you leave the rock out of the water for a long time it will be minimal.

I've doubled my tank size several times by transferring everything to the new tank and never had an issue.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back