Upgrading tank

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I currently have a 14 gallon cube. I plan on upgrading to a 120 here soon. Question is can I slowly add everything into the tank. The plan right now is to use cash back on my credit card to get a hydra 32 or 64 and move everything from my tank into the 120.

So for the first couple months it would be a 120 with my 14 gallon aquascape and 2 clowns. As I get some extra spending cash I would add live rock, more equipment, corals, fish. Would this present a problem slowing adding to the tank or would I have to deal with mini cycles. I will still have my current tank to qt or cure rock.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copy any job here from the transfer thread for no mini cycles:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I currently have a 14 gallon cube. I plan on upgrading to a 120 here soon. Question is can I slowly add everything into the tank. The plan right now is to use cash back on my credit card to get a hydra 32 or 64 and move everything from my tank into the 120.

So for the first couple months it would be a 120 with my 14 gallon aquascape and 2 clowns. As I get some extra spending cash I would add live rock, more equipment, corals, fish. Would this present a problem slowing adding to the tank or would I have to deal with mini cycles. I will still have my current tank to qt or cure rock.
Couple problems I see.

You're not going to want to add sand to a full tank, and you're not going to want to put rocks on top of sand.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I see no issue with that process.
I did it with 65g to 180g.
Been adding a rock here and there for 2 years.
But I do add the Carib-sea life rock which is already purpled so it blends well with the older stuff.

The move may affect stability somewhat for a month or so, keep watch.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding Biospira can help with the added volume of water to minimize the cycle. I would keep an eye on the ammonia and the nitrite levels for the sake of your clownfish. Maybe wash the sand well and add after you put rock in, although the sand is going to be extremely shallow anyway since the bottom surface area is so much greater in the upgrade. You can always add more sand slowly if you want.

OP
OP
FDchase

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on going with all new sand in the upgrade. Either Tampa bay sand or the typical bag stuff from the store. I may rinse this stuff and add it in just because I have it, and another 10lbs still in the bag from the original set up.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back