Upgrading to a Fluval Flex 32.5

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently running an older Oceanic 14 biocube with a few minor upgrades. Getting ready to start upgrading to a Fluval Flex 32.5 marine tank.

I already own several of the freshwater fluval flex 9 gal tanks and have been super happy with them so I'm excited to add this one to my collection!

Here is my plan so far, some things have already been ordered and a few things are probably going to be future upgrades over time :

• Fluval flex 32.5
  • Stock fluval 3.0 marine LED light - possibly ordering a second from fluval, concerned about what I have heard about heat issues though
  • 2 intank media baskets
  • Sicce syncra silent 1.5 return pump
  • 2 vortech mp10 - this will be a future upgrade, will be using hygger mini í already own until í can upgrade
  • Skimmer - uncertain which right now - ordered the fluval ps1 along with the tank itself, but haven't seen great reviews so may change later
  • Heater?
  • Duetto dual-sensor ATO

Am I missing anything? Any advice? Thanks so much!!!

~~~edited to add my current stock list

-a single clown (had a pair, one dived into the filter a few months back, I cried, Im scared to add another in case they don't like each other)
-a diamond goby named Bob the Builder
-a coral banded shrimp I wish I had never gotten
-a bunch of hermit crabs
-a few snails I don't know the name of (nassarius apparently)
-a million tiny snails I don't know the name of either (also found out these are cerith snails)

Last edited:
OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210108_195126.jpg

Not the best photo, and very obviously dirty glass.... Whites on just for the picture. But, this is my current 14g set up just for reference. 11 months old in this photo

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran into my first major issue with this build. Ordered the aquarium yesterday and immediately went over to inTank to order the media baskets only to find out they are out of stock. Hopefully they will restock soon!

slickfeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank arrived today, obviously major issue. Very disappointing but they are going to send a replacement so no harm done, just a minor set back
20210115_163345.jpg
Patience is key mine came with a small chip so I had to send it back as well. I siliconed some acrylic pieces onto the filter inlets and only left the top 3 open so I wouldn’t have to order the baskets seems to be working I can update you in acouple days. I also added extra silicone to the trim of the filter chambers so now water goes on or out.
31D1AB94-B771-4B77-9B66-0A3EBCF8D5A0.jpeg
E952072B-5709-4A29-87A7-3E7ED3ECE0BD.jpeg

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yay! I have a Flex as well & am loving it. I just upgraded to the InTank media baskets this week so it’s too soon to tell if there is a huge difference. I also have the Hygger Mini at one end but definitely need to add another. I don’t notice any heats issues with one light but I can definitely see how it would be a problem with two.
I bought my Flex from an LFS near me and noticed an issue with the silicone on the front glass, but I was easily able to exchange it and it’s been smooth sailing ever since!
I used a single box of CaribSea LifeRock shapes and it worked out perfectly for this size tank.
I only have two real complaints about this tank - first, I wish that the accessories it comes with were actually adequate for the tank. Second, I wish there was a little larger of an opening for feeding. I do have some jumpers in my tank though so the lid has been great for keeping them in! Lol
It’s set up in my office, so please excuse the glare!

Attachments

• 6141A2EA-26A3-4EE9-93CD-593F9603CA5A.jpeg
    6141A2EA-26A3-4EE9-93CD-593F9603CA5A.jpeg
    262.2 KB · Views: 1,093
OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made the decision to go with the nero 3 instead of the mp10's. Also went ahead and picked up a second light, even though it means I'm probably need to add a fan. Can't wait to put it all together

doh_nutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see you're back on track and set up with the new tank. That is my biggest fear right now as I wait for my tank to be delivered.

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20210215_172149_252.jpg

Sadly we lost one of the new clownfish today. I am so upset that I almost want to give up! From what I can tell I think we lost the female, the larger of the two. We have only had them for 8 days but they had seemed to be doing well and eating and getting along with out issues.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20210215_172149_252.jpg

Sadly we lost one of the new clownfish today. I am so upset that I almost want to give up! From what I can tell I think we lost the female, the larger of the two. We have only had them for 8 days but they had seemed to be doing well and eating and getting along with out issues.
dang. That really sucks. I lost my female clownfish too. About 4 ish months ago in my Flex. Ich got a hold of the pair, and the female didn't make it. So I know how you feel. I'm thinking of finally adding another clown, a smaller one compared to the one I have now. If you want to do the same I'd get a breeder box and a small clownfish compared to the male, and place it in the box so they can socially acclimate. That's what I place on doing. Hope everything goes well with the tank and livestock, I'm surprised with some of the corals i'm able to put in this thing.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you probably could add more rock, but also some marine pure spheres in the back chamber or bio media will help, as well as changing out the carbon in the filter. Adding beneficial bacteria will also make the rock you do have a lot more efficient. Fritz has some cheap bacteria on amazon in large quantities. But there are other brands for good bacteria. But you have a lot of sand which helps in terms of keeping good bacteria. I would just recommend getting some nassarius snails to make sure the sand is getting cleaned and no food or waste gets trapped. But how porous the rock is makes a world of difference. Like you could have the tank packed with rock, but if it's really dense and doesn't have areas for bacteria to colonize then it won't do much. I took a while to really understand this and realize the importance of it and seeing the effect with corals and fish. So i'd recommend getting a bit of bio media for the back, some beneficial bacteria, some nassarius snails, and maybe a tuxedo urchin to clean the algae off the rocks (but if you don't have a lot of algae yet then get one when you notice a good amount of growth). Algae on the rocks will not allow as much bacteria to colonize, and it sorta takes over the real estate. But fresh carbon will clear that up and maybe clarifier if you desire that.

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one nassarius snail that I transferred over from my 10 gal tank... I think I'll try to get a few more.

My back chambers are upgraded to the inTank media baskets and one side is full of marine pur rubble and bio balls from my existing tank, the other side has chemipure and more bioballs, with filter floss pads on the top of both baskets. Plus three of the pieces of rock came from an existing tank and I added microbacter7

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds perfect! And yeah microbacter is really good. So I wouldn't worry about not having enough rock especially with all the good media you have. If you need any advice on corals, fish, inverts, just lmk.

OP
OP
SaltwaterandLime

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dealing with a bit of a GHA issue, I thought I got rid of it all but apparently it came over with some of the rock I transferred from the old tank.
PhotoGrid_Plus_1614980944676.jpg

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude I have the same tank, it’s a great one, have you put your flow in the back where the filter stuff is? I put my heater back there and was thinking of putting my flow back there for my zoas.

Back