Upgrading, what should I do with the old tank - make it an anemone tank, a seahorse tank, a frag tank, or sell it?

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrading from a BioCube 32 to a Reefer 425 in the very near future. BioCube has been established for just under a year. Just got my first SPS a month ago and they're doing well. Amazingly, nothing has ever died in this tank, not even a CUC member. At one point a thought a hermit crab did, but I found him later. Fingers crossed it stays that way!

Anyway, I got a killer deal on a Reefer 425 that I couldn't pass up. It'll be going up in a week or so. What should I do with my current tank when the new one has finished cycling? I was thinking of making it either an anemone tank (just BTAs, but maybe also rock flowers), a seahorse tank (always fascinating, but worried about how difficult they are to keep) or a frag tank (once some of the SPS starts to grow out or I start fragging my zoas/LPS). Any particular thoughts? The BioCube has a light upgrade and an MP10 so it can support most corals.

I could also sell it, but I frankly don't need the money and I know I would get significantly less than I spent back.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on what I'm seeing in another thread, the whole idea of fragging and selling to fund your hobby seems very appealing. If that isn't of interest, then i'd say an anemone tank has my vote as I've always wanted to start one myself!

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210101_230753.jpg

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used tanks aren’t worth much at all, I’d keep it... frag tank sounds appealing if it has the lighting to support it

I remember seeing some YouTube video where Jason Fox uses a biocube as a frag tank

OP
OP
hds4216

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on what I'm seeing in another thread, the whole idea of fragging and selling to fund your hobby seems very appealing. If that isn't of interest, then i'd say an anemone tank has my vote as I've always wanted to start one myself!
Definitely appealing, but I'm not sure I have all that much to frag yet. Mostly only have zoas. I could try fragging my Duncan or some meat corals, but I probably need another year or so of growth on the main colonies before they're ready to start giving me frags.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Would be a great already established quarantine tank

OP
OP
hds4216

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be a great already established quarantine tank
True, I could QT corals/inverts in there. I have a separate fish QT though because I don't want to use copper on the cube just in case I want to do something with it in the future.

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrading from a BioCube 32 to a Reefer 425 in the very near future. BioCube has been established for just under a year. Just got my first SPS a month ago and they're doing well. Amazingly, nothing has ever died in this tank, not even a CUC member. At one point a thought a hermit crab did, but I found him later. Fingers crossed it stays that way!

Anyway, I got a killer deal on a Reefer 425 that I couldn't pass up. It'll be going up in a week or so. What should I do with my current tank when the new one has finished cycling? I was thinking of making it either an anemone tank (just BTAs, but maybe also rock flowers), a seahorse tank (always fascinating, but worried about how difficult they are to keep) or a frag tank (once some of the SPS starts to grow out or I start fragging my zoas/LPS). Any particular thoughts? The BioCube has a light upgrade and an MP10 so it can support most corals.

I could also sell it, but I frankly don't need the money and I know I would get significantly less than I spent back.
Hey, I upgraded to a 425 XL too, you ever need anything, reach out to me!
Also, I have a build thread for the 425. Check it out. Might give you a few ideas!

OP
OP
hds4216

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used tanks aren’t worth much at all, I’d keep it... frag tank sounds appealing if it has the lighting to support it

I remember seeing some YouTube video where Jason Fox uses a biocube as a frag tank
Hey, I saw you're in Denver. Do you have a favorite LFS? I get most of my stuff from Denver, my local LFS is pretty small.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I saw you're in Denver. Do you have a favorite LFS? I get most of my stuff from Denver, my local LFS is pretty small.
Oh nice, where are you at?

In Denver my favorites would be:

Neptune’s Tropical in Highlands Ranch - the lady who owns it really cares about her livestock and customers. Her fish are healthier and more affordable than just about anywhere else in denver, but pretty limited coral selection.

Elite Reef in N Denver is a cool spot for frags (especially LPS) and atmosphere. They are the originators of the Co Sunburst Anemone

Theres also a cool newer place off Broadway called ‘Mile High Tides’ which is also much more of a coral shop

If your in Colorado Springs, there’s a great shop called Reefkoi, the owner is a super cool guy who helped start the reefing scene in Colorado back in the day

OP
OP
hds4216

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh nice, where are you at?

In Denver my favorites would be:

Neptune’s Tropical in Highlands Ranch - the lady who owns it really cares about her livestock and customers. Her fish are healthier and more affordable than just about anywhere else in denver, but pretty limited coral selection.

Elite Reef in N Denver is a cool spot for frags (especially LPS) and atmosphere. They are the originators of the Co Sunburst Anemone

Theres also a cool newer place off Broadway called ‘Mile High Tides’ which is also much more of a coral shop

If your in Colorado Springs, there’s a great shop called Reefkoi, the owner is a super cool guy who helped start the reefing scene in Colorado back in the day
I'm in Ft. Collins atm (graduated with my B.S. from CSU in May 2020) but I'm moving to Aurora in the very near future because I'm starting school at CU School of Medicine in Aurora.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back