Upright Freezer as Nano Stand?

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm thinking of setting up a nano (10 gallons/38L max; 3.8g/14L, 5g/19L, and 7.1g/27L also under consideration) and am looking for a good spot to put it (if I don't just go get a cheap stand from PetPlace).

I was clearing some junk around and found this top of an upright freezer as a potential spot (after I clear off the rest of the junk :D ). It's solid, I believe even, and stable. From a weight-bearing standpoint, do you think putting a nano of some sort in the corners would work?

IMG_0276.JPG

ETA: weight bearing of course might play into chosen tank size; obviously since I'm looking into the desktop/nano sized tank.... :) )

Last edited:

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean on top of it?

for a small nano of up to 10g I would not risk it, they are heavy and the top of the fridge would most likely dimple in, they are a lot of wires and stuff involved even with a nano so a stand would be the better option.

Or build a box around the fridge but you still have the issue of hiding all the plugs and wires etc.

Dewanyagen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it's sturdy and doesn't wobble, it should work out just fine. Just make sure you clear off any junk that's on there first. Weight-wise, I think placing the tank in the corners should be okay.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to do it I would make a wooden frame to place on top of the freezer and set the tank on that. The metal used in freezers is very thin and there is nothing but insulation underneath. The only support is at corners. Unless you get a tank that is exactly the same demensions as the freezer the wood frame will help distubute weight I think. Keep in mind if the freezer fails you either keep it as only a stand or you have to move the tank.

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d personally hesitate to use that as a stand. It’ll be a fair bit of weight up top and as others have said, that’s not designed for any amount of pressure. I also had a freezer die on me last year and I’d hate to have had to move an aquarium on top of dealing with a broken appliance.

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a 3” thic sheet of plywood to the shape of the base of the tank and you are all good.

I’m being serious. That’s the only way if you want it up on top of your fridge.

Dewanyagen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it's sturdy and doesn't wobble, it should work out just fine. Just make sure you clear off any junk that's on there first. Weight-wise, I think placing the tank in the corners should be okay.
But hey, if you're looking for other options, you could also check out some cheap stands at PetPlace. Oh, and by the way, if you ever run into any issues with your appliances, I came across this website that specializes in LG appliance repair. You might find it handy; here it is https://fixappliances.ca/lg-appliance-repair/. Just trying to be helpful as a newbie here.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mini fridge in the barn has at least 300 lbs of toolbox sitting on for at least the last 5 years. How heavy is the nano tank?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back