UPS battery backup?

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into battery backup options lately, currently leaning towards a UPS specifically the CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD does anyone know how long 1500VA/900W will keep a single mp40 or an mp10 running? Are their better options I should look into? Trying to avoid any serious DIY with batteries/electronics.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could spend a little extra and get a battery powered generator that might be worth it. A few brands make them including Duracel, EGO (Home Depot), and others. These would last longer than a typical UPS.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into battery backup options lately, currently leaning towards a UPS specifically the CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD does anyone know how long 1500VA/900W will keep a single mp40 or an mp10 running? Are their better options I should look into? Trying to avoid any serious DIY with batteries/electronics.

1614946579286.png

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an APC 1200VA / 720w. During the Texas Snowpocalypse I ran an Ehiem heater and my Varios 6 (slowest setting) and it lasted about 1hr 45min.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

nukemdanno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a UPS with return pump, heater and circulation pumps plugged into it. It lasts about an hour and a half. If the outage goes longer than that I have a gas powered generator that'll run the tank and my refrigerator.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check these out
1614953804316.png

thermoJoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you said you were not too interested in a DIY solution, but this one is pretty easy. The vorTech power heads have a small DC plug on the bottom, if you get a DC power plug with wire lead that fits into that on amazon/ebay (can't remember the size), and connect it to a 12V batter, you will have automatic backup. One more item you need is a 12V battery charger that can charge and maintain the battery over time. Done. Or, you can pay $$$ for the ecotech one that does the same thing.

OP
OP
Vested

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you said you were not too interested in a DIY solution, but this one is pretty easy. The vorTech power heads have a small DC plug on the bottom, if you get a DC power plug with wire lead that fits into that on amazon/ebay (can't remember the size), and connect it to a 12V batter, you will have automatic backup. One more item you need is a 12V battery charger that can charge and maintain the battery over time. Done. Or, you can pay $$$ for the ecotech one that does the same thing.
Thank you, yeah I think I will probably go with ecotech whats the best way to test the battery life periodically?

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A UPS is certainly better than nothing, but far from the best option. You don't have to take my word for it.

That comparison was very flawed! The ups was running the pumps at full power, while the battery pack was only running them at 25% if I recall correctly. That is a huge difference. Some UPSs have 12 DC out puts which if used would increase the run time a lot. A UPS does not do as well running DC pumps when they are plugged in to it is because of the losses converting DC to AC and then back to DC. An AC pump is more efficient in this instance.

The big advantage of a UPS is you can run a heater or other equipment if needed. If you think you will need to run a heater, you want as large a UPS as you can afford. A generator will be a better option if the power is out for long.
I use APC 1500VA UPS's that have an auxiliary battery pack option. I have run a 130 watt return pump for 6 hours on one. It will run my Tunze pumps for days. Even longer if the batteries are wired to the pumps directly. I picked mine UPS and an adtional battery pack for slightly more than on of the ice cap battery packs by shopping around.

OP
OP
Vested

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That comparison was very flawed! The ups was running the pumps at full power, while the battery pack was only running them at 25% if I recall correctly. That is a huge difference. Some UPSs have 12 DC out puts which if used would increase the run time a lot. A UPS does not do as well running DC pumps when they are plugged in to it is because of the losses converting DC to AC and then back to DC. An AC pump is more efficient in this instance.

The big advantage of a UPS is you can run a heater or other equipment if needed. If you think you will need to run a heater, you want as large a UPS as you can afford. A generator will be a better option if the power is out for long.
I use APC 1500VA UPS's that have an auxiliary battery pack option. I have run a 130 watt return pump for 6 hours on one. It will run my Tunze pumps for days. Even longer if the batteries are wired to the pumps directly. I picked mine UPS and an adtional battery pack for slightly more than on of the ice cap battery packs by shopping around.
My main thing is that I don't see myself using an apex anytime soon, so I wont be able to change the percentage the powerheads are running at. Unless there's some other way to change that percentage with just the UPS then isnt it more worth it to just get the ecotech?

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different backup options service different purposes.

UPS: very reliable, along with surge protection. Will begin charging when the lower returns. I have each tank connected to very large (commercial server grade) UPS systems. They’ll run the entire tank for hours, but not days. I also have dedicate UPS for critical systems like aquarium computers and dedicated Aquarium internet connections.

Lithium power station backups: these can hold a LOT of power, I have some large ones that will run orders of magnitude longer than even my larger UPS systems, and I have solar and wind generators that connect to them if need be. I keep enough lithium power backup to run everything (even the lights and heaters) for about 24 hours, excluding solar/wind recharging. However, they are NOT uninterruptible - you must be present to manually connect to them, and disconnect from them again. Do not make the mistake of even thinking they’ll begin charging again when the power returns, they won’t (if power is still being drawn from them).

Individual pump batteries or DC battery/power systems: an awesome way to run small DC pumps for a long time. I even have a DC power system to run my dedicated 4G ‘modem’ that my HYDROS connects to. I use these on at least one flow pump per system to ensure that there are days of water motion available even if I’m not able to get home.

That being said, I’ve never experienced an unplanned power outage, but I take redundancy seriously.

My advice is to use all 3. If you have a house, a Tesla power wall and/or auto start natural gas generator would also be good, if not both. But I always have at least triple redundancy now, and it’s always best to be prepared for 72* hours of power loss because it’s big disasters like typhoons and earthquakes that normally shut off power (or maybe ice storms if you’re in the southern USA).

Why am I so interested in redundancy? Because after decades of keeping aquariums, I’ve learned from losing everything to all kinds of unforeseen circumstances and disasters...

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main thing is that I don't see myself using an apex anytime soon, so I wont be able to change the percentage the powerheads are running at. Unless there's some other way to change that percentage with just the UPS then isnt it more worth it to just get the ecotech?
If you have an or not Apex has nothing to do with it. If using a UPS your pumps will run just like they are now in a power outage. With the battery pack they run at a much reduced rate.

OP
OP
Vested

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different backup options service different purposes.

UPS: very reliable, along with surge protection. Will begin charging when the lower returns. I have each tank connected to very large (commercial server grade) UPS systems. They’ll run the entire tank for hours, but not days. I also have dedicate UPS for critical systems like aquarium computers and dedicated Aquarium internet connections.

Lithium power station backups: these can hold a LOT of power, I have some large ones that will run orders of magnitude longer than even my larger UPS systems, and I have solar and wind generators that connect to them if need be. I keep enough lithium power backup to run everything (even the lights and heaters) for about 24 hours, excluding solar/wind recharging. However, they are NOT uninterruptible - you must be present to manually connect to them, and disconnect from them again. Do not make the mistake of even thinking they’ll begin charging again when the power returns, they won’t (if power is still being drawn from them).

Individual pump batteries or DC battery/power systems: an awesome way to run small DC pumps for a long time. I even have a DC power system to run my dedicated 4G ‘modem’ that my HYDROS connects to. I use these on at least one flow pump per system to ensure that there are days of water motion available even if I’m not able to get home.

That being said, I’ve never experienced an unplanned power outage, but I take redundancy seriously.

My advice is to use all 3. If you have a house, a Tesla power wall and/or auto start natural gas generator would also be good, if not both. But I always have at least triple redundancy now, and it’s always best to be prepared for 72* hours of power loss because it’s big disasters like typhoons and earthquakes that normally shut off power (or maybe ice storms if you’re in the southern USA).

Why am I so interested in redundancy? Because after decades of keeping aquariums, I’ve learned from losing everything to all kinds of unforeseen circumstances and disasters...
I feel you with redundancy! I rarely have power issues but from experience know that kind of stuff always happens when you don't expect it lol.

OP
OP
Vested

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an or not Apex has nothing to do with it. If using a UPS your pumps will run just like they are now in a power outage. With the battery pack they run at a much reduced rate.
An Apex would enable a UPS to run the powerheads at a lower rate the same way that the ecotech battery could from what I've read so far, that's why I brought it up because without it the UPS is forced to run them at 100%.. I think?

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is not debatable that a pump running at 5 watts will last longer than one running at 10 watts. However, the ecotech backup will automatically change the power setting of the pump to run slower. A UPS will not. It's a very valid test of what would happen if the power was lost and you were not there or didn't know about it.

BRS they heard your complaint and the UPS still sucks.

Unless you have a massive battery system, you really shouldn't count on an automatic battery backup for any other equipment. If you're able to maintain your tank in a power outage, a generator or other more manual options is going to be a lot better than putting a heater or most other equpiment on a UPC.

Last edited:

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An Apex would enable a UPS to run the powerheads at a lower rate the same way that the ecotech battery could from what I've read so far, that's why I brought it up because without it the UPS is forced to run them at 100%.. I think?
I don't want them running at a lower rate personally. I especially want the surface agitation for oxygen exchange in a power outage. Without oxygen exchange the flow is not nearly as helpful. At 25 percent there would not be enough oxygen exchange.
I will never rely on an apex to control my pumps anyway. Way to unreliable for me!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vested

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want them running at a lower rate personally. I especially want the surface agitation for oxygen exchange in a power outage. Without oxygen exchange the flow is not nearly as helpful. At 25 percent there would be not oxygen exchange.
I will nevet rely on an apex to control my pumps anyway. Way to unreliable for me!
Good to know! I'm brand new to saltwater so thank you, the only reason I'm bringing up the 25% with the apex is to have a more fair comparison as someone pointed out. @Ratherbeflyen and the BRS video sums it up well I think

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.9%
Back