Upside down jellyfish?

Salvadoor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been running for about 4 years now. I own a few beginner corals and about 100lbs of live rock. Fish, inverts, CUC all coexist peacefully.
I have never purchased jellyfish.
Can someone confirms and/or identify the source?
The 3 bigger ones appeared in my tank about 3 months ago. And I’ve been feeding them live BBS and have been making sure they get enough sunlight. I had 5 appear shortly after and TODAY(6/8/23) I found 1 medium sized one make an appearance(I found them all when I turned turned off all of my pumps) The question is what am I raising???? IMG_2795.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2794.mov
    43.9 MB

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! and congradulations! Jelly fish have a 2 stage life cycle. Larva settle to the surface of rocks and form polyps. The polyps reproduce asexually and kinda look like small anemonies. They can live in this stage for years and at some point they start budding off tiny medusas or jellyfish which will start growing much larger. When sexually mature the medusas will reproduce sexually making larva that settle to the bottom and start the process over. Yuo likely had some polyps on a piece of live rock and it's just taken time for them to start making medusas. You should be able to find videos of the medusas forming and being released by the polyps in the cloud someplace.

OP
OP
Salvadoor

Salvadoor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! and congradulations! Jelly fish have a 2 stage life cycle. Larva settle to the surface of rocks and form polyps. The polyps reproduce asexually and kinda look like small anemonies. They can live in this stage for years and at some point they start budding off tiny medusas or jellyfish which will start growing much larger. When sexually mature the medusas will reproduce sexually making larva that settle to the bottom and start the process over. Yuo likely had some polyps on a piece of live rock and it's just taken time for them to start making medusas. You should be able to find videos of the medusas forming and being released by the polyps in the cloud someplace.
Wow!!
Nature is simply amazing.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 28 84.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.1%
Back