Urban legend hydrogen peroxide

Alcasrac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
I had bit of search on forums, about the hp (hydrogen peroxide) using in the fully setup reef tank. And is not a lot post about Adding directly to the system. Good for algae control like a dip on rocks, but if you have a large rocks and a lot in the deep tank is not easy or not possible to manage a dip.

i have problem with algae, a started a 2-3 weeks ago, what cause is bit complex, i got a massive yellow Fiji leather from lfs with a rock, that comes with algae, i didn’t clean prober. Also a installed a new 2x kessil a360x light, before i had a cheap fluval marine light, which is ok for fish with marine feeling...
I have this powerful light and like a boom start to grow algae.
The phospathe level 0.1-0.0
Nitrate 2-5
Also a dosing red sea no3 po4 -X
Socks have been change every evnening, water change only 3 weeks time 10%
Also i have a 500 l display total amount about 650l.
So like a boom...

I start to add hp 6% 13ml twice a day (12hour period) after 2 days i can see the progress, a back glass start to clear, die of also from rocks as well.
a plan to do for 7 days on the same dosing, and then raise a double. I can see on my blue tang, so many ich come out and the cleaner shrimp is do they job...

On the fish no stress, the corals (i don’t have a lot) no stress...

I Hope i gave some useful info.

if anyone have practice whit it please pass me

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i appreciate it when individuals can share their first hand experience. Fluconazole is also something that helps target different algaes in the tank.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just caution anyone with nems, especially condylactis, to be careful adding H2O2 directly to the tank. I did this and it irritated my condy which responded by releasing its toxins into the water and killing or severely stunting half my corals.

Just to be sure, I repeated this with a lesser dosage several months later with the same result. I may be a slow learner. I am no longer allowed to handle H2O2 at my house.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The milage will vary on this.

Say you have 2 identical tanks with 2 identical corals. One tank had a moderate alkalinity swing a month ago and the coral in this tank is a little stressed. Adding the same amount of H2O2 to both tanks may end in 2 vastly different outcomes for the 2 corals.

Oxidative damage will not always have the same effect if the immune system health is variable.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anems and cleaning shrimp are on the stated list of sensitives agreed. The most amazing part of this thread isn’t the algae dying its the living lysmata.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back