urchin an coral

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, let's see a photo of that. Never heard of an urchin going after Acros. I've heard of them dining on some small encrusting corals and zoas, but never Acros.

Last edited:

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It most likely is eating algae around the acro.......or just passing by and needed somewhere to sit lol. As stated, I have never seen an urchin eat a healthy acro.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve caught both my pencil and short spine take bites out of my acros.
9BB0E076-8561-4A83-B995-8468D472ADE0.jpeg
95D22557-F50E-4E24-BD08-A661348F057F.jpeg
3CD4C10C-EAD3-45E4-8933-31868D672438.jpeg

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never seen an urchin eat an acro. Mine eats the algae around the base of my corals. If I wasn't paying very close attention and watching very closely, it could probably seem like it's eating the base of the coral.

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pencils have kinda mauled the bases of some of my acros and montis, but it usually only happens once every few months, and it is just flesh that is scraped off.

OP
OP
Lenett

Lenett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is my spinney urchin eating my Acropora?
Okay, I don't know what the coral is called. A bright green branching hard coral that looks like a tree. I removed it from my tank so the urchin wouldn't eat the rest of it. There are shortened white ended branches where it was eating. Can show you the coral, but not putting them back together! I do not have a good phone camera, so will have to take pic and upload to computer. A before and after pic
image.jpeg

Well, let's see a photo of that. Never heard of an urchin going after Acros. I've heard of them dining on some small encrusting corals and zoas, but never Acros.
image.jpeg

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I don't know what the coral is called. A bright green branching hard coral that looks like a tree. I removed it from my tank so the urchin wouldn't eat the rest of it. There are shortened white ended branches where it was eating. Can show you the coral, but not putting them back together! I do not have a good phone camera, so will have to take pic and upload to computer. A before and after pic
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
Could we get a shot of the culprit?

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pencils have kinda mauled the bases of some of my acros and montis, but it usually only happens once every few months, and it is just flesh that is scraped off.
Pencils are known to not be reef safe.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve caught both my pencil and short spine take bites out of my acros.
9BB0E076-8561-4A83-B995-8468D472ADE0.jpeg
95D22557-F50E-4E24-BD08-A661348F057F.jpeg
3CD4C10C-EAD3-45E4-8933-31868D672438.jpeg
Do you still have that pencil in your tank? I had 6-of them, took 5-out and gave them to a LFS. The 6th was in a crevice at the time and I couldn't pull him out. However, I'm staring at him right now on my back wall next to my MP40. I want him out, but feel bad to kill it by either throwing it in the trashcan or over the fence. At least that way, it would become coyote food. I've suspected before it may damage coral.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you still have that pencil in your tank? I had 6-of them, took 5-out and gave them to a LFS. The 6th was in a crevice at the time and I couldn't pull him out. However, I'm staring at him right now on my back wall next to my MP40. I want him out, but feel bad to kill it by either throwing it in the trashcan or over the fence. At least that way, it would become coyote food. I've suspected before it may damage coral.
I put it in my scrap tank full of zoas, montis and less valuable acros

OP
OP
Lenett

Lenett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could we get a shot of the culprit?
Urchin is losing spines. It may be needing something. It lasted through 8 months of my tank being resealed in a 50 gal. Is about 3 years old. My brain frag and a flowering coral are looking good still, but the little green tree isn't doing well. 2 pics. 1befor and1after below.

OP
OP
Lenett

Lenett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
Lenett

Lenett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchin is losing spines. It may be needing something. It lasted through 8 months of my tank being resealed in a 50 gal. Is about 3 years old. My brain frag and a flowering coral are looking good still, but the little green tree isn't doing well. 2 pics. 1befor and1after below.

Ryshark, chasewood79, It looks like your pencils are doing same kind of damage. I attached pics of the coral. They are above.

OP
OP
Lenett

Lenett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a black long spinney, not a pencil. I guess the same applies!

Pencils are known to not be reef safe.
pics are above on # 9

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little green tree is an anacropora and your urchin is probably starving if it’s losing spines. Hook it up with some nori on a rock and place it nearby. Those bites don’t look like it’s eating the coral intentionally, just incidental nibbles. Once you get more corals going you will grow to hate urchins. The bulldozers of the reef, the will knock over virtually everything.

OP
OP
Lenett

Lenett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your response, Softhammer! Okay, the anacoraporas branches are considerably shorter. It has lost its green and I think is gone. The urchin usually eats all of the coraline off the rock. Leaves everything white where its been. Right now its staying on the tank wall. It and the snails knock everything over. I have a white fuzzy looking urchin that eats the rock as well as carrying everything around. I will look up nori. I'm waiting for n order of copepods for the blennys. One is bullying the other to the point of starvation. He waits now for me to feed him frozen brine shrimp. Because of that my nitrates stay at least 20. I have never been able to keep corals very long. I would like to figure out why. Nitrates and phosphates usually are an issue. Water changes usually take 2-4 hours, but am doing. Bio filter works very well. Have a sump, no refugium, but a protean skimmer. Fish do well, but plants don't ever grow. My brain coral frag is happy. Have had for about 3 months. 175 gal tank is back up after having to have it resealed. It was down over 4 months, but kept the liverock alive so no need to new cycle.
Do you know how to quarantine and medicate ornamental sponge? I understand the peppermint shrimp love them. Well I guess TMI! I will just keep researching everything, but nothing comes up on sponge except for the white pineapple. I have those growing already.
Thanks again!

OP
OP
Lenett

Lenett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your response, Softhammer! Okay, the anacoraporas branches are considerably shorter. It has lost its green and I think is gone. The urchin usually eats all of the coraline off the rock. Leaves everything white where its been. Right now its staying on the tank wall. It and the snails knock everything over. I have a white fuzzy looking urchin that eats the rock as well as carrying everything around. I will look up nori. I'm waiting for n order of copepods for the blennys. One is bullying the other to the point of starvation. He waits now for me to feed him frozen brine shrimp. Because of that my nitrates stay at least 20. I have never been able to keep corals very long. I would like to figure out why. Nitrates and phosphates usually are an issue. Water changes usually take 2-4 hours, but am doing. Bio filter works very well. Have a sump, no refugium, but a protean skimmer. Fish do well, but plants don't ever grow. My brain coral frag is happy. Have had for about 3 months. 175 gal tank is back up after having to have it resealed. It was down over 4 months, but kept the live rock alive so no need to new cycle.
Do you know how to quarantine and medicate ornamental sponge? I understand the peppermint shrimp love them. Well I guess TMI! I will just keep researching everything, but nothing comes up on sponge except for the white pineapple. I have those growing already.
Thanks again!
Sorry, I thought I sent this days ago. I do appreciate you taking the time to give me some constructive feedback! There were comments, but no help from anyone else. Am feeding urchin nori and brine shrimp. It will be touch and go. He is staying on the glass at the top of the tank. Shrinking and more spines gone. I may not be able to save him, but am trying. Do you have any suggestions on a bully sailfin blenny? I made the mistake of getting 2 and one is larger and keeps the other from eating and resting. Was starving. Now the smaller one will hide and then eat frozen brine shrimp I squirt towards him with a coral feeder. He is surviving this way, but always running. My tank is large and full of live rock and I can't get him out.
Thanks again for your help! any advice is welcome!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back