Urchin identification help

  • Thread starter Thread starter Synthgp
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Synthgp

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 28, 2023
Messages
125
Reaction score
64
Location
Arlington
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all -

I was sold the following as a Halloween urchin, but get the feeling this is some sort of spiny urchin. Can anyone help me identify what type of urchin this is?

IMG_3609.jpeg IMG_3610.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I think Halloween urchins have short spines (I'm 80% sure).

Yours looks more like a Rock Boring urchin. I snorkel in the Florida Keys and we have lots of Rock Boring urchins. They have fairly long spines and very red tests. They tend to find a hole in the rock (or make their own hole) and stay there. They don't move around much after they find a spot that they like and they tend to hide out under rocks rather than moving around. They do NOT cause issues with any other critters in an aquarium. I have 2 of them in my 40g AIO tank.
 
I think Halloween urchins have short spines (I'm 80% sure).

Yours looks more like a Rock Boring urchin. I snorkel in the Florida Keys and we have lots of Rock Boring urchins. They have fairly long spines and very red tests. They tend to find a hole in the rock (or make their own hole) and stay there. They don't move around much after they find a spot that they like and they tend to hide out under rocks rather than moving around. They do NOT cause issues with any other critters in an aquarium. I have 2 of them in my 40g AIO tank.
Ah - thanks for this. I agree. It looks like a rock boring urchin and generally finds a crevice I. The rocks and stays there during the day. It will come out and wander a bit and then go right back.

Just a bit annoyed as I was expecting a Halloween urchin and received this instead.
 
Ah - thanks for this. I agree. It looks like a rock boring urchin and generally finds a crevice I. The rocks and stays there during the day. It will come out and wander a bit and then go right back.

Just a bit annoyed as I was expecting a Halloween urchin and received this instead.
Don't be too upset, it's a good urchin. And unlike most other urchins, it's unlikely to pick up anything in the tank and use it as camouflage.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 18 20.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 8.1%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new