Urchin identification

Jwest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought an urchin and was told it was a pencil but it looks like a short spine to me can anyone confirm this?

20210918_190626.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought an urchin and was told it was a pencil but it looks like a short spine to me can anyone confirm this?

20210918_190626.jpg

Welcome! Glad you joined. Deferring to others on your urchin

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. Like you, I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

I saw two posts in this thread gave some urchin feedback, but if that wasn't sufficient for you, then perhaps repost in another area of the forum where others would be watching - maybe even 'critter ID' though an urchin isn't what I'd consider a 'critter' (but I could make a 'critter' argument)... LOL

Upvote 0

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, welcome to R2R! If you're new to reefing(and even if you're not) its a fantastic resource.
As far as the urchin is concerned its definitely not a pencil and more than likely its a Echinometra mathaei or burrowing urchin/ short spine urchin

Upvote 0

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back