Urchins to control algae.

7hogwarts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchins to control algae. I think I recall reading that certain urchins will eat particular algaes. But I can't find the reference. Does anybody know which urchins will control which algaes? My biggest issue is bubble algae and emerald crabs are so-so. I'm looking for a new approach. Thoughts? Ideas?

Myxini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about specific urchins for specific algae. I have a tuxedo urchin and it does a decent job keeping the rocks clear of some bristly green hair algae I have. But only in areas where there wasn’t a lot to begin with. I have one rock with ½” to 1” patches of algae and the urchin doesn’t seem to like it. It also doesn’t seem to eat bubble algae. It just grabs the bubbles for decoration…

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant cured my bubble algae. There has been a ton of controversy with it recently though. They weren't transparent on what it was really made of. Some people say it hurts corals while other haven't had any problem with it, so use it at your own risk. I'd do some research first tho.

OP
OP

7hogwarts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP

7hogwarts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant has been too controversial for me to want to try.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchins to control algae. I think I recall reading that certain urchins will eat particular algaes. But I can't find the reference. Does anybody know which urchins will control which algaes? My biggest issue is bubble algae and emerald crabs are so-so. I'm looking for a new approach. Thoughts? Ideas?
Holloween urchin will eat pretty much any algae, including bubble. Except for bryopsis of course

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe try another emerald crab? Mine have always taken care of bubble algae. ReefCleaners even guarantees theirs. ;)

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
simpsons GIF

Urchins... Nature's roombas

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tuxes are lawnmowers, but if you are looking for the ultimate cleaner, then your looking for fuzzy chitons, their slower than urchins but will clear any algae in their path down to rock

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use pincushions from the Florida Keys. They are long lived, crush any type of algae that they can get to and are hardy. They are not going to do well with super high residual N and P levels, like many sensitive inverts. They are $28 for 4 through ReefTopia.com.

Urchins will eat coralline too, but mine don't seem to if there is soft algae for them to eat. In any case, the coralline grows so fast for me that I don't care at all.

While you are at ReefTopia.com, get a fair amount of emerald crabs. The keys emerald crabs have been excellent bubble algae eaters for me, but I have had some from unknown areas that did not touch it. Just like peppermint shrimp, it appears to really matter where you get them from.

OP
OP

7hogwarts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tuxes are lawnmowers, but if you are looking for the ultimate cleaner, then your looking for fuzzy chitons, their slower than urchins but will clear any algae in their path down to rock
Fuzzy Chitons are something I hadn't considered. Thanks

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Careful with urchins if you have Euphyllia. They will try to eat any algae on the stalks/branches and in the process they will take a tiny bit of the skeleton with them. Over time they will chop them down like a beaver on a tree.

I had one with 3 branches on them. One by one they fell down, The heads themselves were fine and untouched - still alive today after I glued them on a rock. I got lucky on the 3rd one and saw the urchin on it. Before then I was totally clueless on what was going on. No issues since removing the urchins from the tank.

Back