Urgent advice plz

ozanex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I just woke up in the morning and all my fish were dead .There was no sign of any diseases or parasites. I had 2 x Clowns, 1x Blue Tang, 1x white goby, 1x Damsel, 1x Shrimp, 1x Aiptasia eater file fish. My anemone was also affected as it has shrunk.Crabs, snails and corals are still alive.

I also tested water immediately after. The results are as fallows:

PH: 8.2
NH3/NH4 0-0.2
No2. 0.05
No3. 10
KH3 5.5
Salinity 33
Calc 400
Mag 1520

Also the water looks a bit cloudy (attached picture). My tank is Red Sea max c series 130l.

Could you please give me some advice urgently on what to do or not to do.

Cheers

Ozzy

DAF052C3-B663-4B99-8D7E-6FC812AAB336.jpeg

Mykawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature fine? Your parameters are a bit off but nothing that should have killed all the fish. If there is other livestock in the tank definitely do some water changes.
It’s basically guessing without more info though any big recent changes? Any chance the anemone got into a power head?

Mykawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna assume the ammonia and nitrite are testing or reading errors, if you’re confident the tank was cycled and all the fish you listed weren’t added altogether recently this shouldn’t be an ammonia thing.

OP
OP
O

ozanex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature fine? Your parameters are a bit off but nothing that should have killed all the fish. If there is other livestock in the tank definitely do some water changes.
It’s basically guessing without more info though any big recent changes? Any chance the anemone got into a power head?

Thank u for your reply. Temp is 27.5C. I changed %20 of the water last Sunday.Anemone didn’t get into a power head.

OP
OP
O

ozanex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna assume the ammonia and nitrite are testing or reading errors, if you’re confident the tank was cycled and all the fish you listed weren’t added altogether recently this shouldn’t be an ammonia thing.
They are not added together only purchased blue tang 2 weeks ago clown fishes are bought six months ago.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your surface agitation? I believe the tank has a skimmer as part of the system; has that been working normal?

Your temp is a bit high. No dangerously so in and of itself, but high enough that any problem that does occur will happen quickly. It's possible that you had a bacteria bloom that depleted the water of oxygen, suffocating the fish.

OP
OP
O

ozanex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your surface agitation? I believe the tank has a skimmer as part of the system; has that been working normal?

Your temp is a bit high. No dangerously so in and of itself, but high enough that any problem that does occur will happen quickly. It's possible that you had a bacteria bloom that depleted the water of oxygen, suffocating the fish.

I have skimmer and it is working fine. As you said a bacteria main cause of that so what to do next? How to restart ;-((

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 on this. Oxygen deprivation would be the first thing I would suspect unfortunately. Inverts can be much less susceptible to low O2 than the fish.

OP
OP
O

ozanex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry for your loss. :-(

Has anything been added to the tank recently?
How's the temp?
How long has the tank been running?
Thank u ;-(( The tank is running for for six months only blue tang added 2 weeks ago

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have skimmer and it is working fine. As you said a bacteria main cause of that so what to do next? How to restart ;-((
I would look for a fuel source for the carbon bloom. Have you recently started using an air freshener, burning candles or switched cleaning products near the tank?

OP
OP
O

ozanex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on this. Oxygen deprivation would be the first thing I would suspect unfortunately. Inverts can be much less susceptible to low O2 than the fish.
If the oxygen deprivation is the issue why the crabs and snails are alive?

OP
OP
O

ozanex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look for a fuel source for the carbon bloom. Have you recently started using an air freshener, burning candles or switched cleaning products near the tank?
No I didn’t also I have a lid on top the tank

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the oxygen deprivation is the issue why the crabs and snails are alive?
Many snails and crabs have adjusted to live in tidal pools that can have very poor oxygen levels.

Back