OP
O

ozanex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many snails and crabs have adjusted to live in tidal pools that can have very poor oxygen levels.
Yes you are right . My plan is to change almost %90 of the water this weekend. Buy a cheap fish after a week to see how it goes ;-(((

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you are right . My plan is to change almost %90 of the water this weekend. Buy a cheap fish after a week to see how it goes ;-(((
Wait to see if the cloudy water clears up, if it hasn't already. Make sure whatever caused the bloom has passed. Unfortunately, I've seen where fish have been lost because of carpet cleaning and someone making a batch of wine in the house. Stuff I would never have even considered dangerous.

OP
OP
O

ozanex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many snails and crabs have adjusted to live in tidal pools that can have very poor oxygen levels.
I just spoke to my son. He put 2mg Red Sea algae management and fed them with frozen food but he forgot to open the pump and skimmer back on. That may be the cause of oxygen deprivation?

OP
OP
O

ozanex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait to see if the cloudy water clears up, if it hasn't already. Make sure whatever caused the bloom has passed. Unfortunately, I've seen where fish have been lost because of carpet cleaning and someone making a batch of wine in the house. Stuff I would never have even considered dangerous.
Thank u for this very interesting

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just spoke to my son. He put 2mg Red Sea algae management and fed them with frozen food but he forgot to open the pump and skimmer back on. That may be the cause of oxygen deprivation?
You said your tank had a lid.. is it vented/mesh or something that would block air flow?
Unfortunately, if you turned the skimmer off and have a non ventilated top, it wouldn't take much of a bacteria bloom to cause O2 issues. Many algae management products work like carbon dosing where they create a bacteria bloom to consume nitrates. :(

OP
OP
O

ozanex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just added pure reef balance which is good bacteria may helps to clear the cloudy water :-(

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds a likely cause. Mistakes happen; they are sometimes sad, but we learn from them.

At this point, time and stability in the tank are what will serve you well. Make sure the tank is running as it normally would (including any water changes) and let things run for a bit. Algae and bacteria blooms are normal for newer tanks; they are part of the process of the mini ecosystem establishing itself. So long as they don't get out of control, waiting them out is generally the best course, IMO. Only if you don't see improvement in a few weeks would I suggest looking into more direct action.

OP
OP
O

ozanex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds a likely cause. Mistakes happen; they are sometimes sad, but we learn from them.

At this point, time and stability in the tank are what will serve you well. Make sure the tank is running as it normally would (including any water changes) and let things run for a bit. Algae and bacteria blooms are normal for newer tanks; they are part of the process of the mini ecosystem establishing itself. So long as they don't get out of control, waiting them out is generally the best course, IMO. Only if you don't see improvement in a few weeks would I suggest looking into more direct action.
Thank u so much very helpful. My son was crying almost all day ;-((

Another Newbie Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[/QUOTE]

That's probably it. I had something similar happen a few years ago with a cichlid tank. Don't go too hard on him, he was just trying to help.

Mykawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the consensus the skimmer was supplying that much oxygen? Is your water still at the top? Someone asked about surface agitation not sure if you responded.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Combination of things, from the sound of it:
- Turning off the skimmer and pump removed a large percentage of the gas exchange that would normally occur with the tank.
- This is a covered AIO tank, so there isn't many other sources of gas exchange aside from the pump and skimmer.
- The addition of the Red Sea Algae Management introduced some bacteria "super food". This allowed the bacteria populations to grow quickly. Bacteria consume oxygen.

Alone, any one of these - likely even two of them - would not be an issue. It took all three (and perhaps even being inside a closed room with no open windows if that was the case) occurring at the same time to tip the scales into a dangerous area. The slightly elevated tank temperature also contributed; higher temps means faster metabolic rates, so everything was consuming oxygen slightly faster than might be the case in a cooler tank (even a few degrees matters).

Stuff like this happens. Reef tanks - even FOWLR tanks - are no easy thing to maintain. It's hard - but oh so worth it. ;-)

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In a closed system anything that kills algae can be dangerous. Nopox did the same to my tank. Please don't let your son be upset. It happens. It was the right set of circumstances. It caused a bacteria bloom.

NYCMikeM3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry that happened. If i were in your shoes, the next thing I'd do is is send a sample of the "bad" water off to get an ICP-OES test. I like ATI Labs b/c they report more parameters. You can get the kit on Amazon Prime in a day. TBH i'd spend the extra money to overnight directly to Germany. I've gotten results 2-3 days after sending with this method.

As everyone's mentioned, it's possible to 'nitpick' some of your parameters, but nothing even close to an event that should have nuked your tank :(. That's why I'd do the ICP-OES test -- clearly the standard numbers aren't giving us any clues as to what (if anything) is going on with your water. If your ICP results come out clean, then you can "at least" rule out any issues with your water. Then i guess you have to trouble shoot things like 'electric current' (and who knows what else). I think most things tend to be evident in comprehensive water analysis though.

I really think before you change the water, take out a sample -- get the read out and I suspect you'll see something that's amiss & helps trouble shoot. Very best of luck!

OP
OP
O

ozanex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry that happened. If i were in your shoes, the next thing I'd do is is send a sample of the "bad" water off to get an ICP-OES test. I like ATI Labs b/c they report more parameters. You can get the kit on Amazon Prime in a day. TBH i'd spend the extra money to overnight directly to Germany. I've gotten results 2-3 days after sending with this method.

As everyone's mentioned, it's possible to 'nitpick' some of your parameters, but nothing even close to an event that should have nuked your tank :(. That's why I'd do the ICP-OES test -- clearly the standard numbers aren't giving us any clues as to what (if anything) is going on with your water. If your ICP results come out clean, then you can "at least" rule out any issues with your water. Then i guess you have to trouble shoot things like 'electric current' (and who knows what else). I think most things tend to be evident in comprehensive water analysis though.

I really think before you change the water, take out a sample -- get the read out and I suspect you'll see something that's amiss & helps trouble shoot. Very best of luck!
That’s very good idea I will do that first thing in the morning cheers

OP
OP
O

ozanex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the consensus the skimmer was supplying that much oxygen? Is your water still at the top? Someone asked about surface agitation not sure if you responded.
The pump and skimmer were off last night as my son forgot to turn it on after feeding and treating the water but normally I have a power head and pump which providing the water agitation.

NYCMikeM3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the skimmer + NoPOx could be an issue too.. but 2ml isn't "a ton" -- I dose 4ml/day on mine (Reefer 350) and i've played around with skimmer off to see what happens to my levels (trying to test growth rates of coral re: zooxanthellae growth vs. skeletogenesis). Point being: I've definitely run NoPOx without a skimmer with no ill effects. Maybe that'll help make your son feel less bad / like he didn't do something to hurt the fish.

In the meantime, maybe also consider running extra carbon (in a reactor) + the water change + a bottle of seed-bacteria. With those 3 things, you'll surely have hedged out almost any cause & make the tank safe again. Then when you get lab results you'll have a lot more closure on the cause/effect.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s very good idea I will do that first thing in the morning cheers
Just a heads up that - while ICP testing can give you a lot of good information and are worth doing for many reasons - the test will not give you the oxygen levels of the water in the tank, which sounds like it's the most likely cause of the issue.

I would suggest adding in a practice (a "tank rule" if you will) of never having more than two of your three water movement vehicles off at the same time. So if the pump and skimmer are off, leave the power head on. If the power head and pump are off, leave the skimmer on. This practice of always leaving at least one gas exchange device running - if made habitual - can help to stave off mistakes down the road. Forgetting to turn things back on happens all the time (ALL the time around my tank), so being prepared for that is often an easier habit to establish than the (likely impossible) goal of never forgetting to turn things back on.
If ever you do need to turn all three off for some reason, set an alarm on your phone to remind you to turn everything on. I usually set this to go off in no more than 10min, since that's about the least amount of time I want my tank to sit idle if it must. I'm sure the tank can go longer than that, but the goal is to remind me to get them back on - even if that means clearing and resetting an alarm every 10min, it's better than the alternative.

OP
OP
O

ozanex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up that - while ICP testing can give you a lot of good information and are worth doing for many reasons - the test will not give you the oxygen levels of the water in the tank, which sounds like it's the most likely cause of the issue.

I would suggest adding in a practice (a "tank rule" if you will) of never having more than two of your three water movement vehicles off at the same time. So if the pump and skimmer are off, leave the power head on. If the power head and pump are off, leave the skimmer on. This practice of always leaving at least one gas exchange device running - if made habitual - can help to stave off mistakes down the road. Forgetting to turn things back on happens all the time (ALL the time around my tank), so being prepared for that is often an easier habit to establish than the (likely impossible) goal of never forgetting to turn things back on.
If ever you do need to turn all three off for some reason, set an alarm on your phone to remind you to turn everything on. I usually set this to go off in no more than 10min, since that's about the least amount of time I want my tank to sit idle if it must. I'm sure the tank can go longer than that, but the goal is to remind me to get them back on - even if that means clearing and resetting an alarm every 10min, it's better than the alternative.
I totally agree with you however power head was on but didn’t help much to the poor fishes. Setting up the alarm is a good idea though

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 93 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back