URGENT- Clown fish Parasite?

H-C6179

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there, thanks for the forum. New to reefing, however if I may get some advice here. Cycling completed and added 2 clowns to begin. All parametres are fine however this little fella seems to be off a bit? Possibly a parasite infection? Foesnt appear to eat when food is put in? Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish
Appears to be breathing very rapidly.

I think folks fresh water dip for gill parasites, maybe search on here for that info and lets see what the Pisces Dr types have to say.

The other thing, is this the smaller of the two clowns? The big fish may not like the little guy and they are fighting? I don't see evidence (nipped fins) but that is also a common issue with clownfishes. Just fishing, good luck!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H-C6179

H-C6179

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish
Appears to be breathing very rapidly.

I think folks fresh water dip for gill parasites, maybe search on here for that info and lets see what the Pisces Dr types have to say.

The other thing, is this the smaller of the two clowns? The big fish may not like the little guy and they are fighting? I don't see evidence (nipped fins) but that is also a common issue with clownfishes. Just fishing, good luck!
Hi @KrisReef thanks for your prompt reply. I completed a FW Dip just now. Gone back to floating in one spot in tank now. Yes hes the smaller one of the two. Bigger one had a few pops at him when they went in however, I put this down to usual behaviour as I read. The bigger one (assuming the female) leaves hi alone now.

I suppose I'll see what happens over the next 24hr after the dip? Any Dr types among us :)

Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a few things going on - first the fish is rather thin (which makes sense considering it’s not eating). The fast breathing is a major concern - that high can suggest velvet.
The mate could be pressuring it out of food, but it’s also possible that there is a disease issue at play given the fast breathing.
Have you noticed it swimming into the flow?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H-C6179

H-C6179

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a few things going on - first the fish is rather thin (which makes sense considering it’s not eating). The fast breathing is a major concern - that high can suggest velvet.
The mate could be pressuring it out of food, but it’s also possible that there is a disease issue at play given the fast breathing.
Have you noticed it swimming into the flow?
Hello @Sharkbait19 thank you for your message. Can't see anything that resembles velvet however I know its not always easy to protect. It does not appear to swim in to the flow at all. Usualy just floats around at the bottom in a corner. Over the last 10-15, it appears to swimming around a bit more and I think I saw it take some food . The bigger ons is now following it around bit more too :thinking-face:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H-C6179

H-C6179

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all your help folks, however the poor little guy just died :(. I was told this is a hard hobby. The other one appears just fine however. I suppose time will tell if he was infected with anything also?

Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear.

I do still think that velvet is the most likely possibility. The best thing you can do is move the other clown into qt and treat it with copper power or coppersafe at 2.5 ppm for 30 days. Fish should be kept out of the tank for 6 weeks.
All new fish should be quarantined before addition to the dt.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H-C6179

H-C6179

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear.

I do still think that velvet is the most likely possibility. The best thing you can do is move the other clown into qt and treat it with copper power or coppersafe at 2.5 ppm for 30 days. Fish should be kept out of the tank for 6 weeks.
All new fish should be quarantined before addition to the dt.
Thanks Sharkbait. I'll take a look at the QT.Thanks once again for your assistance in the matter

Upvote 0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back