Urgent help needed

kiMxD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people really like to struggle lol. Just spend $15.00 more and get a refractometer :)

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys im setting up a 250 reefer here and im having a serious issue with the salt level in my tank
I added 50 cups of red sea salt to the 250
As i was told by my lfs but my salinity is off the charts

Took out 50 % water and added 50% RO Water amd its still rrading the same

Please advise
Any help would be appriciated

Yikes. Either that LFS is clueless or, when you told them Reefer 250, they thought that it's a 250 gallon tank; in which case, they're still clueless. That is an insane amount of salt... Like others have said, just keep dumping the salt water, and adding RODI until the level comes down to where you need it. I won't harp on you, as some others have, about using a hydrometer. Firstly, you're new, and you probably haven't even heard the term refractometer until now... Second, I tested my first tank ever, with the exact one that you have, and never had an issue. They get you "close enough" for overall health.

BUT! A refractometer is definitely the better option, because then you can really dial it in perfectly, and see much better results. If you don't mind spending a little bit of money, the digital one from Milwaukee is amazing. Or one of these newer Hanna testers:

https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/h...MIz5Wf-eGR4gIVCtvACh1dGAO1EAQYASABEgJXY_D_BwE

I'm pretty impressed with them.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back