I don't think there is anything wrong with using CP per say, just maybe need some extra consideration for the medication possibly degrading over time as bio-film starts to form. When I used CP, I transferred to a second sterile QT per
@HotRocks method, after 14 days. I think this reduces the risk a bit.
With the wrasses though, it would definitely be easier to treat the entire group with copper. Most of my fish have been treated with copper and they SEEM healthy enough now. It's been popular for quite some time in the hobby as an anti-parasitic treatment. It IS a toxin, though, so there are risks in using it... could there be long-term effects? Maybe... it's not really been determined one way or the other at this point. That's where you need to weigh the risk vs. benefit for your particular situation. You can also use the two-tank method here as well, to limit their exposure to the copper to 14 days vs. 30.
I tend to employ copper more often, mostly because I'm more comfortable knowing that I can test to ensure the level remains where it needs to be. Also, I have a lot of wrasses ;)
Thank you very much for reading all this and your option. ;Shamefullyembarrased
Ok, I read article on bio-film degrading meds, looked at treatment charts (chelated copper seems safest), read about dosing
Copper Power & Hanna checker...I like the 14 day option of Copper with transfer to sterile copper free qt.
Can you confirm what I have learned and treatment plan? I don't want to make mistakes.
Treat all my fish in Copper Power dosed at 1.75ppm.
75 gallon qt x 1.475 = 110.6
2.5ppm / 110.6 = .022
1.75 / .022 = 79.54
79.54ml (round to 80ml) is the total ml needed to reach 1.75ppm in the 75gal qt.
Ramp up time of 5 days (16ml of
copper power added per day, will divide this into 8ml a.m. and 8ml p.m.)
Use Hanna High Range Copper tester daily to maintain 1.75 ppm.
On day 5 start clock for 14 days.
Top off as needed.
Skimmer running is ok. ? Please say yes.
Shallow and small bowl of sand for wrasses is ok.
Extra airstones running.
Small wave maker running.
Using Hot Rocks "simple guidelines" for calculating a water change, I would add
1.04ml per gallon to keep ppm at 1.75. Once therapeutic ppm level achieved, planning water change every 5 days of 10 gallons. ?
On day 14, move all fish to 30 gallon sterile qt same temp & salinity, no
copper Power.
Sterilize 75 gallon qt and skimmer and wavemaker over course of 2 days.
Refill 75 gallon and start observing fish until DT does 76 days fallow again.
:) Does that look good?