OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg I’m making up smaller qt water now just for wrasse.
Big qt looks good, no missing, no red spots.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a secondary bacterial infection. Have you ever done a FW dip for flukes? I would definitely start treatment with a 90 min RRR bath.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a secondary bacterial infection. Have you ever done a FW dip for flukes? I would definitely start treatment with a 90 min RRR bath.
Yes, all fish did 30 days cp. Bacterial problems after that.
All fish did 1 round prazipro.
Tried fwd this wrasse prior to cp and pulled it at 3 min.
Fwd few of other fish, no flukes. These fish established, no newbies.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, just making sure I’ve got the timeline correct... when did you finish the trifecta? How long between that and starting the furan-2 again? He looked normal during treatment?

Bacterial issues can be tough... if he still looks this bad after the trifecta was removed, he may need something different. Maybe one of the sulpha drugs?

I agree a RRR bath is a good first step.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found recipe.
Tsp per gal.

If these are established fish why did you QT them? Also there is anecdotal evidence that CP and wrasses don’t mix well. I use copper power with wrasse myself.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, just making sure I’ve got the timeline correct... when did you finish the trifecta? How long between that and starting the furan-2 again? He looked normal during treatment?

Finished trifecta and GC laced food on April 10 pm, did 75% wc. Fish looking good. Wrasse looked much improved, no red and fins looked better. I felt good about having to leave a few days.
April 11 Left for trip.
April 12 furan2.
April 13 furan2.
Today, doing 25% wc on qt. Other fish look good, 2 with slight tattered fins after cp.
Wrasse in RRR bath now.

Plan:
Wrasse in 8 gal qt. Trifecta begins again? Or try something else?

Big qt???? They look good. Keep up furan2?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If these are established fish why did you QT them? Also there is anecdotal evidence that CP and wrasses don’t mix well. I use copper power with wrasse myself.

Halichoeres tolerate CP a bit better than other wrasses, but I really think this is just an aggressive bacterial infection. I had something similar happen with a flame wrasse... he would look ok in antibiotics but every time I tried to pull the meds, he would go downhill quickly.

After 14 days of the trifecta, a full course of sulfaplex + neoplex, and like 3 rally baths I just gave up and said I would pull the meds and let the chips fall. And he pretty quickly passed away without the meds...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ok, sorry. Trying to get basic info out quickly.

2 wrasses did ttm.

Qt was for very minor ich irraticaton from dt. Ich in dt was minor due to huge uv and otherwise healthy fish. Only 2 fish ever showed slight sign.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think putting the wrasse in his own QT is a good idea, I’d just watch the others and leave them med free for now if they still look ok.

I’m waiting to hear back from a friend, hopefully he has some ideas of what might be the best bet to try next for the wrasse.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halichoeres tolerate CP a bit better than other wrasses, but I really think this is just an aggressive bacterial infection. I had something similar happen with a flame wrasse... he would look ok in antibiotics but every time I tried to pull the meds, he would go downhill quickly.

After 14 days of the trifecta, a full course of sulphaplex + neoplex, and like 3 rally baths I just gave up and said I would pull the meds and let the chips fall. And he pretty quickly passed away without the meds...
Oh no. Ok, thank you for a realistic possible outcome. Going to keep trying for now. Think I’ll follow your lead with sulphaplex ++.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think putting the wrasse in his own QT is a good idea, I’d just watch the others and leave them med free for now if they still look ok.

I’m waiting to hear back from a friend, hopefully he has some ideas of what might be the best bet to try next for the wrasse.
sorry, this info ended up inside a quote.

Finished trifecta and GC laced food on April 10 pm, did 75% wc. Fish looking good. Wrasse looked much improved, no red and fins looked better. I felt good about having to leave a few days.
April 11 Left for trip.
April 12 furan2.
April 13 furan2.
Today, doing 25% wc on qt. Other fish look good, 2 with slight tattered fins after cp.
Wrasse in RRR bath now.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem meds aren’t available at any LFS... I have to order on Amazon.
API meds are easier to find (except furan2).

What about
F6A26DC3-8F29-499E-8714-A1465F28B5DB.png or 30E2FC9F-2C41-4356-BE7F-AA44E290137C.png
Or should I put wrasse back in trifecta until I can get more seachem products?

Thank you.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try triple-sulfa, that would be comparable to the sulfaplex.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no. Ok, thank you for a realistic possible outcome. Going to keep trying for now. Think I’ll follow your lead with sulphaplex ++.
After receiving input from a friend, he thought NFG would be your best bet. However, since I know you are looking for something you can source locally - quickly, he said you could combine Triple Sulfa + Furan-2 to get the same effect. Treat with these together for 10-14 days.

Just keep in mind that this combo might be a little tougher on your bio-filter, so keep a close eye on ammonia.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I missed it, but do you have sand in your qt with the yellow wrasse?

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.
Wrasse has had RRR bath.
Triple sulfa has been added to 5 gal qt.
Will add furan2.
image.jpg
There is no sand box. Would love to add one, but concerned it would absorb meds. 9ED0BD11-CA3C-4530-AEB2-8AAE906A6ED9.jpeg
Looks bad.
Still eating.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can/should add a small container of sand. Just like an inch in a Tupperware container is all you need. Less stressed he feels, the better.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back