Urgent Packing Query!

BloopFish

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 2, 2019
Messages
798
Reaction score
587
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am aware that some shipper ship certain hermit crabs with no water, just damp paper towels. I was wondering if the same would be okay for non-hermit crabs like decorator crabs, xanthid crabs, etc. I figured it would be okay since even blue crabs at fish markets live for a long time without any water, but I want a second opinion about this matter before I attempt it - I don't have much time before deciding!
 
Many things would probably do ok. My question is what is the benefit of not sending them in water? Shipping companies will charge you a minimum weight based on the dimensions of the box regardless so it likely won’t save you any money.
 
Many things would probably do ok. My question is what is the benefit of not sending them in water? Shipping companies will charge you a minimum weight based on the dimensions of the box regardless so it likely won’t save you any money.
I believe that they can produce deadly amounts of ammonia in the small volumes of water without any filtration, so they ship with no water.
 
If the water gets too cold, can cause shock which is why many do not include water.
 
Depends on the species really the decorator is it a hermit or the spider type?
 
I used to work for a distributer for tropical fish and we would put brown paper towel and a small amount of water and a heat/ ice pack if it’s going to be in cold areas
 
Spider type. I'm also wondering for crabs that would look more like a gorilla crab or mithrax crab or xanthid crab or even a box crab. Reason I ask this is that it would be easier to convince security to let these through.
 
I wonder why they don’t bag fish with little bags of carbon in the bag with them to prevent the water in the bag from be coming toxic?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new